ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 25 TCU women's tennis team routed No. 20 Florida State by a score of 4-2 Sunday at the Bill Moore Tennis Center on the campus of Georgia Tech. The Horned Frogs improved to 2-2 overall, as both wins have come against teams that were ranked higher than TCU by the ITA.
"Florida State is a very good team and this is an excellent win for our team on short rest," said TCU head coach Jefferson Hammond. "I was really happy with the way we went about our business today. We were very professional and we won as a team and to me that is the most important thing.”
After a TCU loss at the No. 3 position to begin doubles play, the Horned Frogs’ 16th-ranked senior duo of Macall Harkins and Anna Sydorska answered back with an 8-5 victory over Federica Suess and Noemi Scharle.
With the doubles point hanging in the balance of the No. 2 match, the Horned Frog tandem of junior Nina Munch-Soegaard and newcomer Gaby Mastromarino got off to a rough start and found themselves down early, 6-3. However, the pairing found their rhythm and manufactured enough momentum to steal five-straight games and clinch the doubles point with an 8-6 victory over the Seminoles’ team of Jessica Sucupira and Lauren Macfarlane.
The doubles point would prove costly for FSU, as TCU dropped the first two singles matches from the Nos. 4 and 2 spots, moving the tally to 2-1 in favor of the Seminoles. The Frogswould jump back on the board with a singles win and made the score even at 2-2, as Mastromarino took three sets to take down Sucupira from the No. 6 position, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.
Munch-Soegaard put the Horned Frogs back ahead with a convincing 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 35 Katie Rybakova from the top spot. The Amarillo, Texas native continues to swing a hot racket, remaining undefeated for TCU, holding a 4-0 singles record, all coming against ranked competitors.
Sophomore Katariina Tuohimaa sealed the victory for the Purple and White, claiming her third-consecutive win of the young season, topping Macfarlane in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1.
TCU will open the home schedule this Sunday, hosting No. 26 Auburn at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center at 12 p.m.
No. 25 TCU 4, No. 20 Florida State 2
1. No. 12 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. No. 35 Katie Rybakova (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Noemi Scharle (FSU) def. No. 49 Macall Harkins (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 7-5, 6-1
4. No. 53 Federica Suess (FSU) def. Anna Sydorska (TCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) vs. Kayla Duncan (TCU) 5-2, unfinished
6. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 1, 3*
1. No. 16 Macall Harkins/Anna Sydorska (TCU) def. Federica Suess/Noemi Scharle (FSU) 8-5
2. Gaby Mastromarino/Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. Jessica Sucupira/Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 8-6
3. Bonny Davidson/Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Katariina Tuohimaa/Kayla Duncan (TCU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*