ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The TCU women’s tennis team will make its second-straight appearance in the Mountain Conference Championship match, routing sixth-seeded Utah by the score of 4-1 Friday at the Jerry Cline Tennis Center. The Horned Frogs advance to 15-10 for the year.
“It was a nice to see us come out and play well from the start,” TCU head coach Jefferson Hammond said “We worked hard and competed hard. We will have to come out and do the same tomorrow if we want to win the title.”
The Frogs jumped out to the 1-0 lead after cruising through the doubles action. TCU's all-MWC doubles squad of Katariina Tuohimaa and Kayla Duncan led off with an impressive 8-0 victory over Leigh Walsh and Evegina Kryuchkova at the No. 2 position, while the Frogs’ top tandem of Macall Harkins and Anna Sydorska completed the sweep with an 8-5 victory over the Utes’ Erin Monson and Andrea Maughan.
Harkins began the singles scoring with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Monson at the No. 2 position, while Tuohimaa followed to put TCU up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Kryuchkova.
After sophomore Idunn Hertzberg slipped from the No. 5 position, Duncan clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Walsh from the No. 4 slot. The freshman All-MWC singles selection moves her singles record to 15-6 for the season.
“We knew that Utah was going to be tough today,” Duncan said. “The have been playing really well lately, but we wanted this win. Overall, as a team, we have put in the work and have been focused out there.”
TCU will face the winner of No. 1 UNLV and No. 5 New Mexico in the MWC Championship Match at 11 a.m. CDT Saturday. Live stats can be found at www.GoFrogs.com.
No. 2 TCU (15-10) def. No. 6 Utah (10-13), 4-0
1. Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) vs. Anastasia Putilina (Utah), 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
2. Macall Harkins (TCU) def. Erin Monson (Utah), 6-3, 6-2
3. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Evegina Kryuchkova (Utah), 6-2, 6-2
4. Kayla Duncan (TCU) def. Leigh Walsh (Utah), 6-3, 6-3
5. Lexi Provancha (Utah) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) vs. Lisa Johnson (Utah), 6-2, 2-6, 4-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 5, 4*
1. Harkins/Sydorska (TCU) def. Monson/Maughan (Utah), 8-5
2. Duncan/Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Kryuchkova/Walsh (Utah), 8-0
3. Babanova/Munch-Soegaard (TCU) vs. Putilina/Johnson (Utah), 6-7 unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1*