University of South Carolina at Lancaster ( USC Lancaster ) Team Page
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Senior Daniela Lovera became the fourth player in program history to reach 100 career combined wins, including a point-clinching doubles win, to help the lift the USC Upstate women’s tennis team to a 6-1 win over Charleston Southern on Friday afternoon. The Spartans improved to 3-1 overall and the Lady Bucs’ record is now an even 1-1.
Lovera, who now has 100 career combined wins, has won 55 doubles matches and 45 singles matches in her career. She is tied for ninth in singles wins and fourth in doubles wins in school history and she joins former teammates Susana Hernandez (2005-08, 125 wins) and Diana Martinez (2005-08, 137 wins) and current teammate, senior Anna Novo (141 wins) in the 100-win club.
The Spartans earned the doubles point thanks to a 9-7 win at the No. 3 doubles slot from Lovera and freshman Cinthya Lazaro over Brooke Pletcher and Leonie Mandelkow. The Lady Bucs took an early advantage with a win at No. 2 doubles, but a hard-fought win at No. 1 from Novo and sophomore Emilia Milovanovic helped even the matches at one, and Lovera and Lazaro helped clinch the point.
Novo played quickly, posting a 6-0, 6-2 win over Andrea Schutte at No. 1 singles and Lovera won her 100th career match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Pletcher. After a Lady Bucs win at No. 2 singles, freshman Angie Solorzano picked up a 6-2, 6-3 win at Leonie Mandelkow at No. 6 to clinch the match. The rest of the Spartans also played well, with junior Carolina Bello winning her first dual match with the Spartans, 7-6 (7), 6-1 over Marija Dzakovic at No. 3 singles and Lazaro notching a 6-4, 6-3 win over Angie Torres at No. 5 singles.
The Spartans get back into action at 9 a.m. on Monday when they travel to Big South power Winthrop, who edged out Upstate, 4-3, in 2008.
USC Upstate 6, Charleston Southern 1
1. Anna Novo (UPST) def. Andrea Schutte (CSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Olga Makhova (CSU) def. Emilia Milovanovic (UPST) 6-3, 6-2
3. Carolina Bello (UPST) def. Marija Dzakovic (CSU) 7-6 (9-7), 6-1
4. Daniela Lovera (UPST) def. Brooke Pletcher (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Cinthya Lazaro (UPST) def. Angie Torres (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Angie Solorzano (UPST) def. Leonie Mandelkow (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Anna Novo/Emilia Milovanovic (UPST) def. Andrea Schutte/Angie Torres (CSU) 8-6
2. Marija Dzakovic/Olga Makhova (CSU) def. Carolina Bello/Angie Solorzano (UPST) 8-3
3. Cinthya Lazaro/Daniela Lovera (UPST) def. Brooke Pletcher/Leonie Mandelkow (CSU) 9-7
USC Upstate 3-1
Charleston Southern 1-1