Wichita State University Team Page
WICHITA - In a rare simultaneous men's and women's twinbill, Wichita State earned a sweep over arch-rival and Missouri Valley Conference foe Creighton Saturday at Genesis Health Club. The Shockers won both matches by identical 7-0 scores.
In the women's match, Wichita State needed just over an hour to sweep the Jays. Torrie Browning started things off with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Creighton's Nicole Nakaoka in the No. 4 match. Laryssa Ferreira followed with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Sarah Cadwallader in the No. 6 match, and Lenore Lazaroiu ousted Creighton's Mary Pat McMullen, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 5 match. Shocker senior Anna Egorova picked up the decisive fourth point for the Shockers with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Tess Reddin in the No. 1 match.
With the match already decided, Lutfiana Budiharto picked up a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Lauren Mastro, and Florentina Hanisch completed the Shocker singles sweep with the closest match of the dual, a 6-1, 6-2 win over Kelsey Schmidt in the No. 3 match.
Budiharto and Lazaroiu continued the Shocker streak in doubles play, teaming up for an 8-0 win over Creighton's sister act of Leesa and Sarah Cadwallader in the No. 2 match. Egorova and Stephanie Dalmacio held off an upset bid from Creighton's Reddin and Nakaoka for an 8-4 win. Creighton's lone win in the match came when Schmidt and Mastro defeated Ferreira and Lily Wakim, 8-6, in the No. 3 doubles match.
On the men's side, the Shockers opened up with three commanding victories to to pick up the doubles point. Vlad Marinescu and Adrian Chermaci dominated Creighton's Gabe Nagy and Brian Ward in the No. 1 spot, 8-0. David Cavalcanti and Matt Teivans did the same in the No. 3 doubles match against James McAvoy and Kyle Obermeier to clinch the doubles point. Michal Zawadzki and Jonathan Obrist finished off Michael Elson and Jose Guerra in the No. 2 slot, 8-2.
The men's and women's double header against the Bluejays moved singles to the latter part of the match. Chermaci got things started by defeating Nagy in No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-3. In the No. 4 match-up, Cavalcanti followed suit by knocking off Elson, 6-3, 6-0. Obrist made quick work of Obermeier in No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-1. Marinescu sealed the victory in the No. 1 singles match, defeating Creighton's Guerra, 6-2, 6-3. Teivans beat Ward in the No. 6 match, 6-1, 6-3, before Zawadzki won a hard-fought 7-5, 6-2 decision in the No. 4 match.
Women's Doubles Results
1. Anna Egorova/Stephanie Dalmacio (WSU) def. Tess Reddin/Nicole Nakaoka (CU) 8-4
2. Lutfiana Budiharto/Lenore Lazaroiu (WSU) def. Sarah Cadwallader/Leesa Cadwallader (CU) 8-0
3. Kelsey Schmidt/Lauren Mastro (CU) def. Laryssa Ferreira/Lily Wakim (WSU) 8-6
Women's Singles Results
1. Anna Egorova (WSU) def. Tess Reddin (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) def. Lauren Mastro (CU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Florentina Hanisch (WSU) def. Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Torrie Browning (WSU) def. Nicole Nakaoka (CU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lenore Lazaroiu (WSU) def. Mary Pat McMullan (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Laryssa Ferreira (WSU0 def. Sarah Cadwallader (CU) 6-2, 6-0
Men's Doubles Results
1. Vlad Marinescu/Adrian Chermaci (WSU) def. Gabe Nagy/Brian Ward (CU) 8-0
2. Michal Zawadski/Jonathan Obrist (WSU) def. Michael Elson/Jose Guerra (CU) 8-2
3. David Cavalcanti/Matt Teivans (WSU) def. James McAvoy/Kyle Obermeier (CU) 8-0
Men's Singles Results
1. Vlad Marinescu (WSU) def. Jose Guerra (CU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Adrian Chermaci (WSU) def. Gabe Nagy (CU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jonathan Obrist (WSU) def. Kyle Obermeier (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Michal Zawadzki (WSU) def. James McAvoy (CU) 7-5, 6-2
5. David Cavalcanti (WSU) def. Michael Elson (CU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Matt Teivans (WSU) def. Brian Ward (CU) 6-1, 6-3