Rollins College Team Page
WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 2, 2009) – Rollins used big wins at No. 2 doubles and No. 2 singles as the 10th ranked Tars downed 8th ranked Concordia (N.Y.) 6-3 on a chilly Monday evening in Winter Park.
Rollins improves their record to 6-2 on the year with the two losses coming against top ranked Armstrong Atlantic and NAIA No. 3 Embry-Riddle. Concordia drops to 1-1 on the year.
The top flight doubles match pitted the Tars’ Neil Clausen and Bill Rockwood against fourth ranked Alex Grubin and Richi Malobicky with the duo from Concordia scoring an 8-6 win.
Rollins responded in a big way, picking up points in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Adrian Tan and Jeff Morris won the No. 2 match over Andrey Boldarey and Karim Belhadj 9-8 (2) with Nick Rowlands and Gustavo Carvalho taking Josep Molet and Henning Ruenez 9-7 at No. 3.
Using the momentum from doubles play, the Tars won four points in singles for the upset victory.
27th ranked Clausen battled 44th ranked Boldarev in the No. 2 singles match with Clausen coming out on top 2-6, 6-3, 7-5. Morris, the 35th ranked player in Division II, won the No. 3 match 6-3, 6-2 over Malobicky, Carvalho took Molet 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4 and Rockwood was a 6-2, 7-5 winner over Ruenz at No. 6.
Rollins will be back on the courts on Thursday, Mar. 5 against 20th ranked Northwood (Mich.) with competition slated to begin at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Concordia (N.Y.) vs Rollins
03/02/09 at Winter Park, Fla.
#10 Rollins 6, #8 Concordia (N.Y.) 3
1. #2 Alex Grubin (CC-NY) def. Adrian Tan (ROLLINS) 6-3, 6-2
2. #27 Neil Clausen (ROLLINS) def. #44 Andrey Boldarev (CC-NY) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. #35 Jeff Morris (ROLLINS) def. Richi Malobicky (CC-NY) 6-3, 6-2
4. Gustavo Carvalho (ROLLINS) def. Josep Molet (CC-NY) 7-5, 6-4
5. Karim Belhadj (CC-NY) def. Nick Rowlands (ROLLINS) 6-4, 6-0
6. Bill Rockwood (ROLLINS) def. Henning Ruenz (CC-NY) 6-2, 7-5
1. #4 Alex Grubin/Richi Malobicky (CC-NY) def. Neil Clausen/Bill Rockwood (ROLLINS) 8-6
2. Adrian Tan/Jeff Morris (ROLLINS) def. Andrey Boldarev/Karim Belhadj (CC-NY) 9-8 (10-2)
3. Nick Rowlands/Gustavo Carvalho (ROLLINS) def. Josep Molet/Henning Ruenz (CC-NY) 9-7
Concordia (N.Y.) 1-1; National ranking #8
Rollins 6-2; National ranking #10
Official: George Miller