Univ. of New Orleans Team Page
NEW ORLEANS - The University of New Orleans tennis teams swept crosstown rival Xavier on Friday afternoon at the University Tennis Center, with the Privateer men defeating the Gold Rush 7-0 and the women beating the Gold Nuggets 6-1.
The men (8-5) ended their seven-match skid in doubles’ play by picking up the doubles’ point over XU (7-3) counterparts.
Calvin Kemp and Ben Smith won their second consecutive match at No. 1, besting Mike Green and Steffen Giles-Osborn 8-5 to clinch the doubles’ point.
The other victory came for the Privateers at No. 3 while Vinay Kamineni and Jose Gaspar won 8-1 over Cameron Knowles and Mario Myles.
In singles’ play, the Privateer men had no problems, winning 5 of 6 matches in straight sets. UNO was only pushed at No. 6 singles’, where Abdelrahman Zaki won the first completed match of his collegiate career, a 6-3, 4-6, 10-2 win over Myles.
The women (5-3) won for their fifth straight match and did so by putting up strong results, despite a layoff of four weeks.
UNO was not threatened by the XU women (7-3) in doubles’ play, picking up wins at each position.
The most impressive victory by the doubles’ teams for the Privateer women came from the No. 3 court where the first-time pairing of Sofija Karalic and Amber Garza bested Melissa DeLoach and Marian Lang 8-1.
In singles’ play, each match went two sets in favor of UNO except the No. 1 court where nationally-ranked NAIA player Anastesia Opata defeated Kir Kemp 6-2, 3-6, 10-7.
Kozue Matsumoto and Cassandra Escobar extended their winning streaks to five and four matches, respectively. Matsumoto defeated Yuliem Dominguez 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 while Escobar won 6-2, 6-2 over Angelina Callis.
Saturday will be a busy day on the Lakefront as the UNO women take on Arkansas State at 11 a.m. before both teams face Jackson State at 4 p.m.
University of New Orleans 7 men, Xavier 0
Mar 06, 2009 at New Orleans, La. (University Tennis Center)
1. Calvin Kemp (UNO) def. Terry Richardson (XU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Vinay Kamineni (UNO) def. Mike Green (XU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Ben Smith (UNO) def. Mikhail Vaval (XU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Oliver Cuthill (UNO) def. Steffen Giles-Osborn (XU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jose Gaspar (UNO) def. Cameron Knowles (XU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) def. Mario Myles (XU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-2
1. Calvin Kemp/Ben Smith (UNO) def. Mike Green/Steffen Giles-Osborn (XU) 8-5
2. Mikhail Vaval/Terry Richardson (XU) def. Guilherme Rebolo/Oliver Cuthill (UNO) 8-5
3. Vinay Kamineni/Jose Gaspar (UNO) def. Cameron Knowles/Mario Myles (XU) 8-1
University of New Orleans 6 women, Xavier 1
Mar. 6, 2009 at New Orleans, La. (University Tennis Center)
1. Anastesia Opata (XUW) def. Kir Kemp (UNOW) 6-2, 3-6, 10-7
2. Cassandra Escobar (UNOW) def. Angelina Callis (XUW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kozue Matsumoto (UNOW) def. Yuliem Dominguez (XUW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ceara Howey (UNOW) def. Colleen McArthur (XUW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Sofija Karalic (UNOW) def. Jihanna Mughnee (XUW) 6-3, 6-1
6. Pia Dozo-Moreno (UNOW) def. Marian Lang (XUW) 6-1, 6-4
1. Kozue Matsumoto/Cassandra Escobar (UNOW) def. Angelina Callis/Anastesia Opata (XUW) 8-4
2. Kir Kemp/Ceara Howey (UNOW) def. Yuliem Dominguez/Colleen McArthur (XUW) 8-5
3. Sofija Karalic/Amber Garza (UNOW) def. Melissa DeLoach/Marian Lang (XUW) 8-1