Univ. of San Diego Team Page
Toreros earn sweep over Pilots in semifinal round
San Diego, Calif. (Barnes Tennis Center) - The University of San Diego Men's Tennis team will compete in the final round of the WCC Tournament Sunday after knocking off the Portland Pilots, 4-0, Saturday afternoon at the Point Loma Barnes Tennis Center. Waiting in the wings for the Toreros will be the dominate #1 seeded Pepperdine, ranked #17 overall in the April 14th ITA poll.
San Diego sailed through the match, wrapping up a win in just over two hours of play. In doubles, the Toreros played the minimum two matches to earn the initial point. At No. 3, freshman Juan de Villiers and senior Chris Coetzee downed Geoff Hernandez and Nick Wales, 8-2. With similar efficiency, junior Charl Wolmarans and freshman Nikola Bubnic on Court 3 capped the USD run with an 8-3 victory over Portland's tandem of Nikoloz Kurdadze and Joel Kincaid.
The Toreros wasted no time in singles play, as Bubnic playing on Court 4 notched his second win of the day against Hernandez, finishing in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. At No. 6 sophomore Nils Schive quickly powered past Evan Schleining, 6-0, 6-2. Wrapping up the win as well as the privilege to play in the final match of the WCC Tournament, sophomore Dean Jackson disposed of Kincaid in two sets, 6-2, 6-3.
San Diego will look to upset #17 Pepperdine tomorrow in the championship match beginning at 11:30 am at the Barnes Tennis Center.
USD 4, Portland 0
Barnes Tennis Center - San Diego, Calif.
1. Jackson/Schive (USD) vs. Zivkovic/Schleining (POR), DNF
2. Wolmarans/Bubnic (USD) def. Kurdadze/Kincaid (POR), 8-3
3. de Villiers/Coetzee (USD) def. Hernandez/Wales (POR), 8-2
Order: 3, 2
USD wins doubles point.
1. #56 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Joel Kincaid (POR), 6-2, 6-3
2. Charl Wolmarans (USD) vs. Filip Zivkovic (POR), DNF
3. Chris Coetzee (USD) vs. Nikoloz Kurdadze (POR), DNF
4. Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Geoff Hernandez (POR), 6-1, 6-3
5. Tom Wolff (USD) vs. Bryan Thorp (POR), DNF
6. Nils Schive (USD) def. Evan Schleining (POR), 6-0, 6-2
Order: 4, 6, 1
USD wins match, 4-0.
Overall Record: USD (9-13 WCC)