UTEP Team Page
The UTEP tennis team capped off its season-long nine-match road swing by knocking off Santa Clara, 5-2, Saturday morning. The Broncos had claimed five successive matches but had no answer for the Miners, who closed out the brutal road stretch by winning two straight and four of five.
UTEP now stands at 13-5 on the year, which equals the second-highest triumph total in program history. The school standard is held by the 1995 Miners, who racked up 16 wins. That record is within reach, however, as four regular-season contests remain, in addition to the Conference USA tournament.
The Miners jumped out to the early advantage by virtue of victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Weronika Bloczynska/Megan Pritchard doubled up Stephanie Galainena/Ashley Pane, 8-4, while freshmen tandem Martina Trierweiler/Carolina DeLuca edged out Carmen Pham/Myra Davoudi, 9-7, at the second slot.
The Broncos mustered a victory at No. 3 doubles, as Kacie Wagner/Kimmi Cox snuck past Marina DeLuca/Vicky Michaud, 8-6. The damage had already been done, though, as the Miners took the aforementioned 1-0 lead.
Following a brief reprieve, action switched to singles play where UTEP continued to cruise. Bloczynska demolished Galainena, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 1 singles while Carolina DeLuca dominated Pham at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-1.
Trierweiler downed Wagner at No. 2, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2, showing no rust after not playing singles action on Friday. Marina DeLuca also emerged victorious, rallying to defeat Davoudi, 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8-2, ret) at No. 4 singles.
Pritchard challenged Pane at No. 5 singles, and things looked promising early on as the senior rolled by a count of 6-0 in the opening set. Pane stormed back, however, to secure the final two sets at 6-4. Fuentes was dispatched at No. 6 singles by Hull, 1-6, 5-3, ret. She pulled out of the match as a precaution to avoid aggravating an injury, since the outcome of the match had already been decided.
The Miners will return to action on Sunday, March 29 with a 10 a.m. contest against Tulane at the El Paso Tennis Club. The match is the first of three in the final home stand on the campaign.
1. Weronika Bloczynska (UTEP) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Martina Trieweiler (UTEP) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Marina DeLuca (UTEP) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8-2), retired
5. Ashley Pane (SCU) def. Megan Pritchard (UTEP) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Courtney Hull (SCU) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-1, 3-5, retired
1. Weronika Bloczynska/Megan Pritchard (UTEP) def. Stephanie Galainena/Ashley Pane (SCU) 8-4
2. Carolina DeLuca/Martina Trieweiler (UTEP) def. Carmen Pham/Myra Davoudi (SCU) 9-7
3. Kacie Wagner/Kimmi Cox (SCU) def. Marina DeLuca/Vicky Michaud (UTEP) 8-6