Liberty University Team Page
Liberty sophomore Cameron Richard notched her first singles win of 2012, but East Tennessee State claimed four singles matches in addition to the doubles point to claim a 5-2 win at the Buddy Hartsell Tennis Center, Saturday.
Liberty falls to 1-7 with the loss, while the Buccaneers stop a four match slide to improve to 2-4.
Homestanding ETSU jumped out to a 1-0 lead after sweeping the three doubles matches.
While Liberty tied the match at one, the Buccaneers took the next three matches which went final, to secure the team victory.
Liberty freshman Brittany Yang leveled the overall match by defeating Kelsey Williams in the No. 4 singles contest in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. The win marked her team-leading fourth singles win of the year.
However, ETSU took the No. 5, No. 1 and No. 6 matches to secure the team victory with four points.
In the No. 2 match, Richard fought an early deficit to post her first singles victory of the spring. After dropping the first set, 6-1, Richard took the next set in extra games, 7-5. The Birmingham, Ala., native then claimed the third set, 14-12, to give Liberty its final point of the afternoon.
ETSU wrapped up the match with a win in the No. 6 slot, to end with the 5-2 victory.
Liberty will complete its four match road stretch this week, when they travel to UMBC, Wednesday. The time is still to be determined.
ETSU 5, Liberty 2
1. Jaime/Wieliczko (ETSU) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 8-0
2. Williams/Navrostska (ETSU) def. Richard/Yang (LU), 8-6
3. Brumit/Andreazza (ETSU) def. Wellman/Lobel (LU), 8-5
1. Jaime (ETSU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-3, 7-5
2. Richard (LU) def. Wieliczko (ETSU), 1-6, 7-5, 14-12
3. Andreazza (ETSU) def. Jenkins (LU), 7-5, 7-5
4. Yang (LU) def. Williams (ETSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Navrostska (ETSU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-0, 6-3
6. Brumit (ETSU) def. Lobel (LU), 6-4, 6-3