Radford University Team Page
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The doubles point proved to be the difference as Charleston Southern edged Radford, 4-3, in Big South women’s tennis action Sunday afternoon at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
The loss drops the Highlanders to 6-4 overall and 2-2 in league play, while the Bucs improve to 4-1 and 1-0.
Charleston Southern grabbed the early 1-0 lead and crucial doubles point with convincing wins on courts one and two. Radford’s lone doubles victory came from Petra Dajevic and Gemma Valls, who defeated Alia Nour and Susita Das, 8-3, at the No. 3 position.
Four of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets, while each club claimed a three-set victory.
The Highlanders got singles triumphs from their freshmen trio of Hannah Crawford (7-5, 6-3), Valls (6-4, 6-4) and Meg Napolitano (7-5, 4-6, 10-4), who moved to 8-2 on the spring at the No. 6 position.
Radford will begin its Spring Break trip to the Sunshine State with a March 6 dual at Nova Southeastern.
Charleston Southern 4, Radford 3
1. Olga Makhova (CSU) def. Petra Dajevic (RAD) 6-2, 6-0
2. Hannah Crawford (RAD) def. Angelica Sidorenko (CSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Yvonne Hubler (CSU) def. Mia Drobnjak (RAD) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
4. Gemma Valls (RAD) def. Marija Dzakovic (CSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Alexandra Walters (CSU) def. Taylor Newman (RAD) 6-0, 6-1
6. Meg Napolitano (RAD) def. Alia Nour (CSU) 7-5, 4-6, 10-4
1. Olga Makhova / Marija Dzakovic (CSU) def. Taylor Newman/Mia Drobnjak (RAD) 8-3
2. Yvonne Hubler/Alexandra Walters (CSU) def. Hannah Crawford/Meg Napolitano (RAD) 8-2
3. Petra Dajevic/Gemma Valls (RAD) def. Alia Nour/ Susita Das (CSU) 8-3
Charleston Southern 4-1