Radford University Team Page
HARRISONBURG, Va. – With the match tied 3-3 after the singles competition, Radford claimed the doubles point to defeat James Madison, 4-3, in non-conference women’s tennis action Friday afternoon at Hillside Courts.
Winners of five straight and 10 of their last 12 matches, the Highlanders improve to 11-4 on the spring, while dropping JMU to 5-3 overall.
Due to the threat of rain in the area, the two teams agreed to begin the match with singles play.
With the doubles portion even at one win apiece, Radford’s first-year duo of Hannah Crawford and Meg Napolitano held off Michelle Nguyen and Ruxandra Andriescu, 8-6, to clinch the point and match.
Gemma Valls and Petra Dajevic recorded the Highlanders’ other doubles triumph.
Radford’s singles victories came from three of its four freshmen in the starting lineup, including Napolitano, who rallied from a set down on court six to defeat Ruxandra Anriescu, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
The Highlanders also got singles points from Crawford (7-5, 6-1) and Taylor Newman (6-2, 6-1) at positions two and five, respectively.
Five of RU’s wins this season have come by way of 4-3 decisions.
After playing its first 15 matches away from home, Radford will begin its 2012 home slate Thursday against in-state foe Roanoke College at 4 p.m.
Radford 4, James Madison 3
Mar 16, 2012 at Harrisonburg, Va. (Hillside Tennis Courts)
1. Kinsey Pate (JMU) def. Petra Dajevic (RU). 6-4, 6-1
2. Hannah Crawford (RU) def. Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU), 7-5, 6-1
3. Michelle Nguyen (JMU) def. Mia Drobnjak (RU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Taylor Pinchoff (JMU) def. Gemma Valls (RU), 6-7, 7-6, 6-1
5. Taylor Newman (RU) def. Megan Douglass (JMU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Meg Napolitano (RU) def. Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
1. Kinsey Pate / Taylor Pinchoff (JMU) def. Mia Drobnjak / Taylor Newman (RU), 8-2
2. Meg Napolitano / Hannah Crawford (RU) def. Michelle Nguyen / Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU), 8-6
3. Gemma Valls / Petra Dajevic (RU) def. Megan Douglass / Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU), 8-3
James Madison 5-3