Wake Forest University Team Page
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Wake Forest's men's tennis team captured the doubles point on an upset victory by David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar at the No. 1 position, but ultimately fell 6-1 to No. 32 North Carolina at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
The Deacons fell to 9-7 on the season following the loss, while the Tar Heels swept all six singles matches to improve to 5-4 on the year.
Hopkins and Prabhakar teamed up to defeat the No. 44-ranked team of Brennan Boyajian and Oystein Steiro by an 8-4 margin in the deciding doubles match to hand the Deacs an early lead. Danny Kreyman and Adam Lee provided the opening strike at the No. 3 position with a decisive 8-5 victory over Cameron Ahari and Esben Hess-Olesen.
North Carolina rebounded quickly with victories in the bottom two singles slots, as Conner Sherwood and Alex Tsai fell in straight sets to their opponents. David Hopkins, who dropped his first set, was attempting to battle back in the second before retiring while down 4-3.
Amogh Prabhakar gave Wake its best chance at a singles victory by pushing No. 98 Esben Hess-Olesen to three sets before falling, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0(6).
The Deacons will return to action on Sunday as No. 6 Duke pays a visit to the Wake Forest Tennis Complex. The matches, which will serve as Wake's ACC opener, are currently scheduled to get underway at 11:00 a.m.
North Carolina 6, Wake Forest 1
1. #34 Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 4-3 (retired)
2. #90 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 6-4, 6-1
3. #98 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) def. Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0(6)
4. Joey Burkhardt (UNC) def. Adam Lee (WF) 6-4, 7-5
5. William Parker (UNC) def. Conner Sherwood (WF) 6-3, 6-1
6. Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Alex Tsai (WF) 6-4, 6-1
1. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. #44 Brennan Boyajian/Oystein Steiro (UNC) 8-4
2. #73 Joey Burkhardt/Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. Conner Sherwood/Sam Wells (WF) 9-7
3. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) def. Cameron Ahari/Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 8-5
Wake Forest 9-7
North Carolina 5-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1*, 2); Singles (6, 5, 1, 2*, 3, 4)