Virginia meets Arkansas Saturday at 6 p.m. for trip to Seattle.
University of Virginia Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE - The top-ranked Virginia men's tennis team made its 2013 debut Friday night with a 9-0 victory over No. 63 North Florida at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The match was a first round contest of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, which serves as qualifying for ITA National Team Indoors next month at the University of Washington. The Cavaliers will meet No. 55 Arkansas on Saturday at 6 p.m. for a trip to Seattle.
Friday's match was played with an alternative scoring format. The teams played the traditional three doubles matches for one point before playing eight singles contests, all worth one point.
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead in the match by winning a close doubles point. Ninth-ranked Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 2 over Pedro Davisson and Julien Belair to give UVa the early advantage. The other two matches went to deciding tiebreakers. At No. 3, eighth-ranked Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) downed Daniel Sotomarino and Timo Kranz 7-2 in the breaker to take an 8-7(2) win to clinch the opening point. The match at No. 1 was abandoned in the tiebreaker.
In singles, Virginia displayed a dominating performance, winning all eight matches in straight sets. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.), making his season debut after missing the fall season due to injury, topped Davisson 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5. Justin Shane followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win of his own at No. 6, defeating Kranz to make the score 3-0. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) posted a 6-2, 6-1 over Norbert Nemcsek at No. 2 and Domijan added a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Moritz Buerchner to clinch the victory. Uriguen's 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 7 over Leonardo Nahar extended the lead to 6-0. The match concluded with three Cavalier first-years, all making their dual match debuts, adding wins to bring the final score to 9-0. Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) topped Sotomarino 6-1, 7-5 at No. 3, Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) defeated Belair 6-3, 7-6(5), and Richmond downed Bernardo Craveiro 6-2, 7-5 at No. 8.
The Cavaliers and Razorbacks will meet in the winner's bracket at 6 p.m. Saturday. North Florida will meet Georgia State in a consolation match at 2 p.m. Admission is free. Due to the construction at the Boar's Head Sports Club, parking near the club is limited. Fans are encouraged to arrive early to allow sufficient time to park.
#1 VIRGINIA 9, #63 NORTH FLORIDA 0
1. #4 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) vs. #20 Buerchner/Nemcsek (UNF) 7-7 DNF
2. #9 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Davisson/Belair (UNF) 8-3
3. #8 Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Sotomarino/Kranz (UNF) 8-7(2)
1. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #72 Moritz Buerchner (UNF) 6-2, 6-1
2. #4 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Norbert Nemcsek (UNF) 6-2, 6-1
3. #22 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) 6-1, 7-5
4. #7 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Julien Belair (UNF) 6-3, 7-6(5)
5. Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Pedro Davisson (UNF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Timo Kranz (UNF) 6-1, 6-0
7. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) 6-1, 6-3
8. #55 Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Bernardo Craveiro (UNF) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish