Univ. of Nebraska (Lincoln) Team Page
Columbus, Ohio - The No. 17 Huskers (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated No. 55 Ohio State (4-1, 0-1 Big Ten) in their first Big Ten match 4-2. Ohio State were a tough challege but Nebraska was able to emerge the victor in a tight face off.
Starting play at doubles, the Huskers claimed the first point of the match. At the No. 3 position, Huskers Maggy Lehmicke and Maike Zeppernick quickly fell to Ohio State's Gabby Steele and Grainne O'Neill 8-3. Nebraska's Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova defeated Buckeyes Fidan Manashirova and Nicole Flower at the No. 1 position 8-3 to split the doubles matches.
The doubles point remained to be decided at the No. 2 position. The final match was a suspenseful shoot-out to the finish, resulting in a doubles point for the Huskers when German duo Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein narrowly edged Ohio State's Kelsey Dieters and Kara Cecil 9-8, 9-7.
The Huskers held the lead at 1-0 beginning singles play. The lead was pushed to 2-0 quickly at the No. 2 court with Patricia Veresova ousting Buckeyes' Kara Cecil 6-3, 6-1. Ohio State slimmed the margin at the No. 4 position where Fidan Manashirova defeated Huskers' Janine Weinreich 6-4, 6-3.
The Huskers extended their advantage with a victory at the No. 6 position by Izabella Zgierska who flushed Ohio State's Nicole Flower 6-1, 6-3. Ahead of the Buckeyes 3-1, the Huskers sealed the victory at the No. 1 position when Mary Weatherholt rolled over Ohio State's No. 41 Kelsey Dieters 6-4, 6-3.
Victory in hand for Nebraska at 4-1, Stefanie Weinstein for the Huskers was leading Buckeyes' Gabby Steele at the No. 3 position but the match went unfinished. Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Ohio State's Grainne O'Neill were in a heated battle at the No. 5 position and decided to finish their match. O'Neill emerged victorious over Lehmicke 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9) to grab the Buckeyes' second point, despite the results already being solidified.
Nebraska heads to Virginia next weekend Feb. 8-11 to participate in the prestigious ITA National Team Indoor Championships that they earned a bid to upon their victory over the ITA Kick Off weekend. Play begins on Friday and concludes on Monday with 16 teams participating all ranked in the national top 25.
No. 17 Nebraska - 4
No. 55 Ohio State - 2
1. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 41 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-4, 6-3.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-1.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) vs. Gabby Steele (OSU) DNF
4. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Janine Weinreich (NU) 6-4, 6-3.
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9).
6. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-1, 6-3.
Order of finish (2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5)
1. Patricia Veresova/Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Nicole Flower (OSU) 8-3
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Kelsey Dieters/Kara Cecil (OSU) 9-8, 9-7
3. Gabby Steele/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Maike Zeppernick (NU) 8-3
Order of finish (3, 1, 2)