Lehigh University Team Page
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the season Saturday as the Mountain Hawks fell to a tough Penn State squad by a 7-0 score. The Nittany Lions swept the doubles matches and won all six singles matches to take the victory.
The loss evens Lehigh’s season record at 1-1. Penn State evened its season record at 4-4 after downing Penn earlier in the day.
The Nittany Lions raced to a 1-0 lead with wins at the first two doubles flights. With the doubles point clinched, Lehigh sophomore Ben Gilman and senior Andrew Krentz went to a tiebreak against Tomas Hanzlik and Roman Trkulja at third doubles, which the Penn State duo won 7-2 to take the match 7-6.
Penn State extended its lead with convincing straight set wins at the No. 4 and No. 3 flights. Hanzlik’s 6-0, 6-2 win over junior Mark Goldberg at No. 1 singles clinched the match for the Nittany Lions.
Gilman turned in Lehigh’s top performance in singles, winning the first set over Chris Young 6-3 at No. 2 singles, before young rallied to take the next two sets by 6-2, 6-2 scores to win the match. Penn State closed out the shutout as David Kohan won 6-1, 6-1 over Krentz at No. 5 singles and Ramy Labna earned a 6-2, 6-4 decision over junior Timur Chernykh at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will now return home to host the Saint Francis (Pa.) Red Flash Sunday at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Bader/Chen (PSU) def. Goldberg/Petersen (Lehigh), 8-1
2. Griffin/Welnetz (PSU) def. Savran/Kochman (Lehigh), 8-4
3. Hanzlik/Trkulja (PSU) def. Gilman/Krentz (Lehigh), 7-6(2)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh), 6-0, 6-2
2. Chris Young (PSU) def. Ben Gilman (Lehigh), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh), 6-0, 6-2
4. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Matt Savran (Lehigh), 6-0, 6-1
5. David Kohan (PSU) def. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-1
6. Ramy Labna (PSU) def. Timur Chernykh (Lehigh), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish:4,3,1,2,5,6