Lehigh University Team Page
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team put forth an impressive overall performance Sunday as the Mountain Hawks rebounded from a tough loss Saturday at Penn State to blank Saint Francis (Pa.) 7-0 at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept through all three doubles matches and won the first five singles matches before earning a win by default at No. 6 singles.
The win improves Lehigh’s record to 2-1 on the season.
The Mountain Hawks stormed to the doubles point, dropping just four combined games in the three matches. Lehigh’s top team of junior Mark Goldberg and sophomore Mitchell Petersen won 8-2 over Sergio Carvajal and Washi Gervais. The matches at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles were won by 8-1 scores, with senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman teaming up at No. 2 and senior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Ben Gilman combining to win at No. 3.
In singles play, Lehigh extended its lead with dominant straight-set wins at the first, second and fourth flights. Goldberg won 6-0, 6-2 over Andres Rosa at No. 1 singles. Gilman earned a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Gervais at No. 2 singles and Savran won 6-1, 6-2 over Juan Pardo at No. 4 singles. Petersen and Krentz were winners by 6-4, 6-3 scores at No. 3 and No. 5 singles respectively. Junior Timur Chernykh won by default at No. 6 singles to complete the shutout.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday February 10 when they host Delaware at noon inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Saint Francis (Pa.) 0
1. Goldberg/Petersen (Lehigh) def. Carvajal/Gervais (SFU) 8-2
2. Savran/Kochman (Lehigh) def. Barter/Pardo (SFU) 8-1
3. Gilman/Krentz (Lehigh) def. Rosa/Jurjevich (SFU) 8-1
1. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) def. Andres Rosa (SFU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Ben Gilman (Lehigh) def. Washi Gervais (SFU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh) def. Sergio Carvajal (SFU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Juan Pardo (SFU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) def. Lawson Barter (SFU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Timur Chernykh (Lehigh) def. Mat Jurjevich (SFU) default