Pictured: #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Monique Albuquerque (MIAMI) 6-0, 6-...
UCLA Team Page
Charlottesville, Va. - The top-seeded UCLA women's tennis team moved one step closer to defending its title at the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors on Saturday, notching a 4-2 victory over eighth-seeded Miami at the Boar's Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va. The Bruins (5-0) will meet the winner of fourth-seeded Georgia and fifth-seeded Cal in the semifinals on Sunday (Time TBA).
UCLA lost the doubles point for the first time this season on Saturday, suffering losses at court Nos. 1 and 3. After the Hurricanes won 8-4 at the No. 3 spot, the point was clinched following a huge upset at court No. 1, where Miami's unranked Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner downed 16th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton, 8-6.
Despite the setback in doubles, Anderson rebounded strong in singles play, as she was the first to finish her match after posting a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Monica Albuquerque at court No. 1. Anderson, who is ranked No. 6 nationally in singles, is now 18-0 on the season.
Playing right next door to Anderson at court No. 2, freshman Kyle McPhillips would make it 2-1 UCLA when she beat Lileikite by an identical 6-0, 6-2 score.
Sophomore Chanelle Van Nguyen then made it three-straight singles wins for the Bruins, downing Melissa Bolivar, 6-1, 6-2 to make it 3-1 UCLA. It was at that point, however, when things began to get interesting.
Miami (6-1) cut the lead to 3-2 when Clementina Riobueno notched a 7-5, 6-4 win over Morton at court No. 6. That left only court Nos. 3 and 5 still competing, and both matches were extremely close. UCLA senior Pamela Montez was in a third set with Kelsey Laurente at court No. 3, and Bruin freshman Catherine Harrison was up a set and in a tight battle with Wagner at court No. 5.
Fortunately for UCLA, Harrison pulled out the second set in a tiebreaker, beating Wagner, 7-6, 7-6 to give UCLA the 4-2 victory and put her team into the semifinals. When play was suspended, Montez and Laurente were tied 3-3 in the third set at the No. 3 spot.
USTA/ITA National Team Indoors
#2 UCLA 4, #10 Miami 2
Feb 09, 2013 at Charlottesville, VA (Boar's Head Sports Club)
1. Lileikite/Wagner (MIAMI) def. #16 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) 8-6
2. Courtney Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) vs. Bolivar/Laurente (MIAMI) 4-7, unfinished
3. Albuquerque/Riobueno (MIAMI) def. McPhillips/Van Nguyen (UCLA) 8-4
Miami Wins Doubles Point
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Monique Albuquerque (MIAMI) 6-0, 6-2
2. #47 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #57 Lina Lileikite (MIAMI) 6-0, 6-2
3. #96 Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. #51 Kelsey Laurente (MIAMI) 3-6, 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
4. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Melissa Bolivar (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-2
5. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. #92 Stephanie Wagner (MIAMI) 7-6, 7-6
6. Clementina Riobueno (MIAMI) def. Skylar Morton (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
Miami 6-1; National ranking #10
UCLA 5-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,2,4,6,5)