Univ. of Georgia Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA.----Sixth-ranked Georgia advanced to the semifinals of the ITA National Team Indoors with a 4-1 win over seventh-ranked California Saturday.
Up next, the Bulldogs (4-0) face top seed and defending tournament champion UCLA as the Bruins edged Miami (Fla.) 4-2 in their quarterfinal match at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The semifinal match begins at noon.
Georgia captured the doubles point and then picked up singles wins from a trio of freshmen in Silvia Garcia, Mia King and Makenzie Craft to register its latest victory over the Golden Bears.
"We played absolutely fantastic in doubles and that set the tone for the rest of the match," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "We had good energy from start to finish. Our three freshmen came up big in singles and the other three Bulldogs in the lineup played pretty well too. Overall, this was a great match for us and we're looking forward to another opportunity Sunday."
Georgia's doubles wins came at the No. 1 and 3 spots in the lineup. The team of Garcia and Kate Fuller posted an 8-2 victory over Zsofi Susanyi and Klara Fabikova at No. 1 to clinch the first team point. Georgia's No. 3 team of King and Lauren Herring cruised to an 8-1 win over Tayler Davis and Laura Posylkin.
In singles, seventh-ranked Susanyi evened the match with a 6-0,6-4 win over 18th-ranked Maho Kowase at No. 1. The Bulldogs went up 2-1 after Garcia defeated Lynn Chi 6-4,6-2 at No. 3. Then, Craft crushed Estlander 6-0,6-1 at No. 6 for a 3-1 advantage.
King provided the match-clinching point with a 6-4,6-1 decision over Kelly Chui in the No. 5 contest. She is 6-1 as a Bulldog. Herring and Fuller did not finish their singles matches with the team outcome decided.
This is the 23rd appearance for the Bulldogs at the National Team Indoors. Georgia is 49-19 all-time including winning the title three times, most recently in 2002.
ITA National Team Indoors: Quarterfinals
No. 6 Georgia 4, No. 7 Cal 1
1. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Zsofi Susanyi/Klara Fabikova (CAL) 8-2
2. #22 Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) vs. Lynn Chi/Anett Schutting (CAL) 5-4, unfinished
3. Mia King/Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Tayler Davis/Laura Posylkin (CAL) 8-1
1. #7 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def.#18 Maho Kowase (UGA) 6-0, 6-4
2. #8 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. #9 Anett Schutting (CAL) 3-6, 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
3. Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #109 Lynn Chi (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
4. #54 Kate Fuller (UGA) vs. Tayler Davis (CAL) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Kelly Chui (CAL) 6-4, 6-1
6. Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Cecilia Estlander (CAL) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,3,6,5)