Northwestern University Team Page
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 14 Northwestern bounced back at the ITA Team Indoor Championship on Sunday morning, posting at 4-2 consolation-round victory over No. 10 Miami (Fla.).
The Wildcats, who were eliminated from the championship bracket with their loss to third-ranked Duke on Saturday, captured the doubles point on Sunday to jump out to the lead.
The 42nd-ranked team of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton took down Lina Lieikite and Stephanie Wagner, 8-2, at No. 1. The No. 2 pairing of Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over Melissa Bolivar and Kelsey Laurente.
The top two players in the Northwestern singles lineup helped the 'Cats extend their lead. Kate Turvy, ranked 67th, took down Monique Albuquerque 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 and Corning upset Lileikite, who is ranked 57th, also in straight sets 6-3, 6-4.
The Hurricanes closed the deficit to 3-2 with wins at Nos. 4 and 5, but Belinda Niu clinched the match for the Wildcats at No. 3 as she out-battled 51st-ranked Laurente at No. 3 in a pair of tiebreakers, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (5).
#14 Northwestern 4, #10 Miami (Fla.) 3
1. #42 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Lina Lileikite/Stephanie Wagner (UM) 8-2
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) 8-3
3. Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) vs. Kate Turvy/Belinda Niu (NU) 6-4, unfinished
1. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Monique Albuquerque (UM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Veronica Corning (NU) def. #57 Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-3, 6-4
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. #51 Kelsey Laurente (UM) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5)
4. #92 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Deborah Suarez (UM) vs. Alicia Barnett (NU) 6-3, 3-6, 4-1, unfinished