Ohio State University Team Page
COLUMBUS, Ohio- The No. 4 Ohio State men's team shut out No. 13 Cal, 4-0, in the opening round of the 2013 ITA National Team Indoor Championship Friday afternoon in Seattle, Wash. The Buckeyes will face No. 5 Pepperdine Saturday on the University of Washington campus. Pepperdine defeated No. 11 Florida, 4-1, Friday.
Playing in the Nordstrom Tennis Center, the Scarlet and Gray improved to 9-1 on the season courtesy of Chris Diaz's6-2, 6-4 victory over Mads Engsted at No. 5 singles. Ranked 37th in the nation, Diaz improves to 14-2 on the season, including a 4-0 record at No. 5.
Ohio State jumped out to a 1-0 lead on back-to-back doubles victories by Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka and 36th-ranked Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith, respectively. Representing the Buckeyes on court No. 3, Rola and Metka handed Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton an 8-5 setback, while Kobelt and Smith upset No. 14 Chris Konigsfeldt and Campbell Johnson, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles.
Hunter Callahanwas the first Buckeye off the courts in singles action when he beat Melton, 6-3, 6-0, at the No. 6 position. Owning a 3-1 record at No. 6 singles, Callahan is 9-4 overall this season. Cal's Ben McLachlan retired his match vs. Rola to propel the Scarlet and Gray to a 3-0 lead. Rola was leading McLachlan, 6-3, 4-2, before the match was stopped. Rola remains undefeated in 2013 with a 6-0 record, including a 5-0 mark at No. 1 singles.
Second-ranked Peter Kobelt was leading Konigsfeldt, who is ranked 48th, 7-6, 4-4, on court No. 2 before play was halted. Devin McCarthy and Connor Smith, ranked No. 30, were trailing Johnson and Bayane in their respective matches.
No. 4 Ohio State 4 (9-1), No. 13 Cal 0 (3-3)
2013 ITA National Indoor Championships
Feb. 15, 2013
Nordstrom Tennis Center
University of Washington
1. No. 62 Blaz Rola def. No. 82 Ben McLachlan (Cal), 6-3, 4-2 (retired)
2. No. 2 Peter Kobelt vs. No. 48 Chris Konigsfeldt (Cal), 7-6, 4-4 (unfinished)
3. Devin McCarthy vs. No. 61 Campbell Johnson (Cal), 6-7, 2-2 (unfinished)
4. No. 30 Connor Smith vs. Gregory Bayane (Cal), 6-7, 2-2 (unfinished)
5. No. 37 Chris Diaz def. Mads Engsted (Cal), 6-2, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan def. No. 102 Chase Melton (Cal), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish:6, 1, 5
1. No. 36 Peter Kobelt / Connor Smith def. No. 14 Chris Konigsfeldt / Campbell Johnson (Cal), 8-6
2. Devin McCarthy / Ille Van Engelen vs. Mads Engsted / Ben McLachlan (Cal), 7-7
3. Blaz Rola / Kevin Metka def. Gregory Bayane / Chase Melton (Cal), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1