Texas Tech University Team Page
AUBURN, Ala. - No. 59 Auburn stunned No. 21 Texas Tech Thursday in women's tennis at the Yarbrough Tennis Center, 5-2.
"We showed up very flat against a very good team and that combination never ends well," said Lady Raider head coach Todd Petty. "Credit Auburn. They are on their way and they deserved the win today."
The last time an opponent scored five or more points on the Lady Raiders, was when No. 30 Texas A&M recorded a 5-2 win over Texas Tech on Apr. 22, 2011 in College Station, Texas. The Lady Raiders have not lost to a team ranked this low since falling to unranked Kansas State in 2010.
For the first time in 21 matches, Texas Tech lost the doubles point.
The No. 55 Tiger doubles tandem of Plamena Kurteva and Pleun Burgmans topped Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo, 8-4 to start the day. Then Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Jen Pfeifler upended Caroline Starck and Elizabeth Ullathorne, 8-5 at No. 3 doubles to secure the point.
The No. 58 Texas Tech duo of Rashmi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders outlasted Jackie Kasler and Emily Flickinger, 8-7 (7-5).
Auburn quickly jumped out to a 3-0 lead after Burgman topped Adams at No. 1, 6-1, 6-3 and Flickinger dropped Teltumbde at No. 2, 6-2, 6-3.
Kilgo gave Texas Tech its first point of the day with a 7-6. 6-0 win over Michala Kucharova at No. 3, but Kurteva picked up the deciding point with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Sanders at No. 6. It was Sanders' first dual match loss of the season.
Ullathorne continued her winning ways with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Pfeifler, while Texas Tech's Sandra Dynka fell to Jackie Kasler, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7) at No. 4.
The Lady Raiders have to regroup in hurry as they face No. 8 Alabama on Friday at 5 p.m. in Tuscaloosa.
"The sense of urgency will need to be there from the start and I expect it to be," added Petty. "Alabama is very good and we will need to have a contribution from everybody if we are going to be successful."
#59 Auburn University 5, #21 Texas Tech 2
Auburn, Ala. (Yarbrough Tennis Center)
1. #71 Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. #80 Samantha Adams (TT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Rashmi Teltumbde (TT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. Michala Kucharova (AU) 7-6, 6-0
4. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Sandra Dynka (TT) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
6. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Nikki Sanders (TT) 6-2, 6-4
1. #55 Plamena Kurteva/Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TT) 8-4
2. #58 Rashmi Teltumbde/Nikki Sanders (TT) def. Jackie Kasler/Emily Flickinger (AU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Paulina Schippers/Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Caroline Starck/Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 8-5
Texas Tech 6-2; National ranking #21
Auburn University 8-1; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)