Texas Tech University Team Page
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Like a heavyweight prizefight, No. 21 Texas Tech went toe to toe with No. 9 Alabama, but Crimson Tide walked away with a split decision victory over the Lady Raiders, 4-3, at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility on Friday.
It was a back and forth battle all night. Texas Tech struck the first blow.
Elizabeth Ullathorne and Caroline Starck picked up the first win of the day, as the Texas Tech tandem topped Emily Zabor and Natalia Maynetto, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles. Alabama answered with Maya Jansen and Antonia Foehse’s win over No. 58 Rashmi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders, 8-6 at No. 2 doubles.
The first point of the day came down to No. 1 doubles, where the Texas Tech duo of Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo upset the No. 2 doubles team in the country of Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane, 8-5.
Macfarlane evened the score, when she upended Adams, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. The Tide then added quick wins at No. 5 by Zabor over Sanders, 6-3, 7-5, and No. 3, where No. 69 Maya Jansen picked up a straight set win over Sandra Dynka, 6-3, 7-5.
Trailing 3-1, Texas Tech started battling back as Kilgo picked up the biggest win of her career. The Lady Raider sophomore upset the Tide’s No. 22 Guarachi, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Then Starck evened the team score, 3-3, with a three-set win over No. 89 Maynetto, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3.
That left the deciding match in the hands of Alabama’s Foehse and Texas Tech’s Ullathorne. The Lady Raider senior took the first set, 6-4, but not before Foehse answered with a 6-3 win in the second set.
Foehse got the early break and jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the third, but Ullathorne battled back to tie the third, 4-4. Foehse got the break and served for the win and the match.
#8 Alabama 4, #21 Texas Tech 3
Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Fac.)
1. #20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (ALA) def. #80 Samantha Adams (TT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. #22 Alexa Guarachi (ALA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. #69 Maya Jansen (ALA) def. Sandra Dynka (TT) 6-3, 7-5
4. Antonia Foehse (ALA) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Emily Zabor (ALA) def. Nikki Sanders (TT) 6-3, 7-5
6. Caroline Starck (TT) def. #89 Natalia Maynetto (ALA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TT) def. #2 Alexa Guarachi/Mary Anne Macfarlane (ALA) 8-5
2. Maya Jansen/Antonia Foehse (ALA) def. #58 Rashmi Teltumbde/Nikki Sanders (TT) 8-6
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Caroline Starck (TT) def. Emily Zabor/Natalia Maynetto (ALA) 8-3
Texas Tech 6-3; National ranking #21
Alabama 8-1; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,5,3,2,6,4)