Texas Tech University Team Page
LUBBOCK, Texas - No. 29 Texas Tech opened the 2013 season with a 6-1 win over Texas-Pan American on Wednesday morning at the McLeod Tennis Center.
"I think this was a good start for us," said head coach Tim Siegel, who is in his 21st and final season at the helm of the Red Raider program. "We went out and got our feet wet. It was good to play and actual match and see how our guys react."
The Red Raiders began the day by securing the doubles point. Texas Tech's No. 1 tandem of Vitor Manzini and Gabriel Dias cruised past Richardo Hopker and Chetan Panditi, 8-4, while the Red Raider duo of Hugo Dojas and Felipe Soares topped Sebastien Job and Alejandro Sanoja, 8-6.
With the point secured for Texas Tech, the No. 3 match between Texas Tech's Gabriel Wanderley and Francisco Zambon against Thomas Panoulas and Victor Alves was abandoned at 6-6.
Dias, a freshman from Brazil, picked up his first collegiate win, as he cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Hopker at No. 2. Dojas, another freshman from Brazil, gave Texas Tech a 3-0 lead with his 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4.
Wanderley, Zambon and Raphael Pfister each won in straight sets to secure the Texas Tech win.
The lone loss came at No. 1 singles, where Manzini fell to Panoulas in a super tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-2).
#29 Texas Tech 6, Texas-Pan American 1
Jan 16, 2013 at Lubbock, TX (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. Thomas Panoulas (UTPA) def. Vitor Manzini (TTU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-2
2. Gabriel Dias (TTU) def. Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Gabriel Wanderley (TTU) def. Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 6-1, 7-5
4. Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Sebastien Job (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Francisco Zambon (TTU) def. Alejandro Sanoja (UTPA) 6-0, 7-6
6. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Joseph Bishop (UTPA) 6-1, 7-5
1. Vitor Manzini/Gabriel Dias (TTU) def. Ricardo Hopker/Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 8-4
2. Hugo Dojas/Felipe Soares (TTU) def. Sebastien Job/Alejandro Sanoja (UTPA) 8-6
3. Gabriel Wanderley/Francisco Zambon (TTU) vs. Thomas Panoulas/Victor Alves (UTPA) 6-6, unfinished