Arizona State University Team Page
In the second match of a three match week, the #29 Arizona State Sun Devils (4-1, 0-0 Pac-12) women's tennis team defeated the Bulldogs of Fresno State, 6-1 moving to 5-1 on the 2013 season.
"I'm happy with today -- let's face it in competitive college-level athletics any win is a good win," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "Fresno State is a good team -- we expected a good match and we got one, and from that stand point we got one."
The Bulldogs walked onto the courts at the Whiteman Tennis Center ranked 52nd in the country, and fresh of a loss to the University of Arizona in Tucson. The Sun Devils had two days of practice on between their last win over San Jose State on Wednesday afternoon.
Freshman Stephanie Vlad set the pace for the Sun Devils in singles play, sweeping up the second overall point of the match and the second point for the Sun Devils quickly defeating Sophie Watts on the #4 court 6-0, 6-1.
"Stephanie (Vlad) was on and off the court quickly. It definitely helps to get that second point right after the doubles point, it certainly helps everybody else if you can get out there and take care of business," McInerney said.
The longest match of the day, and ultimately a true test for freshman Desirae Krawczyk took place on the #3 court. Krawczyk was able to pass the test, defeating Melissa McQueen of Fresno State 4-6, 6-1, 6-3. The freshman sat out for a brief period following a groin injury that left her out of the majority of competition against San Jose State.
"I feel a lot better, I'm glad to be back playing again that's for sure," Desirae Krawczyk said.
Although the outcome of Vlad's match would not have affected the final outcome of the match, McInerney and Vlad both recognize the importance of playing to your fullest no matter what the external conditions are.
"I think it was good for her to be out there for a long match. Playing today and coming through with a win is going to help her confidence going forward," McInerney said.
Arizona State will be in action again on Sunday afternoon against Santa Clara at 11 a.m. at The Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz.
#29 Arizona State 6 :: #52 Fresno State 1
Whiteman Tennis Center
12 p.m. MST
1. Nicole Smith/Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Bianca Modac/Aishwarya Agrawl (FST) 8-4
2. Joanna Smith/Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Melissa McQueen(FST) 8-3
3. Leighann Sahagun/Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) vs. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FST) 7-6 (2)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FST) 6-2, 6-4
2. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FST) 7-6 (2), 6-0
3. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Melissa McQueen (FST) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Sophie Watts (FST) 6-0, 6-1
5. Bianca Modoc (FST) def. Ebony Panoho (ASU) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
6. Hannah James (ASU) def. Anne Susdorf (FST) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 1, 5, 3