Oklahoma beats Wake Forest in the first of two road tests this weekend.
Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 5 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team defeated No. 22 Wake Forest, 5-2, Friday, March 1, in Winston-Salem, N.C.
The Sooners got off to a quick start, snatching the first team point after doubles competition.
"We played a great doubles point tonight," OU head coach John Roddick said. "It gave us a quite a bit of momentum going into singles."
ITA No. 42 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas won the first match for OU, defeating Danny Kreyman and Adam Lee 8-4. Lawrence Formentera and Peerakit Siributwong clinched the point for OU after they beat Jon Ho and Sam Bloom 8-4.
No. 61 Alcorta extended the lead in singles by defeating No. 123 David Hopkins 6-1, 6-2.
"Willy [Alcorta] played really well," Roddick said. "It was his best indoor match that I've seen him play."
Shortly after, No. 39 Costin Paval clinched the win for the Sooners, beating No. 37 Amogh Prabhakar 6-3, 6-4.
The Sooners continue their road weekend on Sunday against No. 1 Virginia Sunday, March 3, at 11 a.m. CT in Charlottesville, Va.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook fore more information on the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 5, Wake Forest 2
1. Paval/Webb (OU) def. Hopkins/Prabhakar (WF), 8-5
2. Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Kreyman/Lee (WF), 8-4
3. Formentera/Siributwong (OU) def. Ho/Bloom (WF), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Amogh Prabhakar (WF), 6-3, 6-4
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. David Hopkins (WF), 6-1, 6-2
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Danny Kreyman (WF), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-2, 6-2
5. Adam Lee (WF) def. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Sam Bloom (WF) def. Nick Papac (OU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 5, 4, 1*, 6, 3