California Team Page
BERKELEY - Fifteenth-ranked California plays its last nonconference dual match of the regular season when the 7-4 Golden Bears play No. 52 San Diego State (6-3) at noon on Sunday, March 17, at the Aztec Tennis Center. Cal brings a two-match winning streak to San Diego. The Aztecs have a three-match winning streak, pending a March 15 clash with Marquette at home.
Scouting the Bears
• The Bears have a 33-6 all-time series record vs. SDSU, with last year's 6-1 win over the Aztecs in Berkeley the last meeting between the schools
• Cal has a 3-1 record against common opponents with SDSU - the Bears defeated Saint Mary's, 7-0, on Jan. 28, lost to USC, 4-1, on Feb. 10, beat USC, 5-2, on Feb. 23 and knocked off Washington, 7-0, on March 9
• Cal's talented roster includes four players who are ranked in singles by the ITA: sophomore Zsofi Susanyi (No. 3), junior Anett Schutting (No. 9), freshman Lynn Chi (No. 57) and freshman Klara Fabikova (No. 108)
• The Bears boast the following ranked doubles teams: No. 20 Susanyi and Fabikova and No. 40 Chi and Schutting
• Cal routed the Washington schools in Berkeley in its last two matches, pounding Washington State, 6-1, on March 8 before blanking the Huskies, 7-0, on March 9
•Amanda Augustus is in her sixth year as head coach at Cal Marquette at home.
Scouting the Aztecs
• SDSU had its March 8 match at home vs. Pepperdine postponed till March 20 due to inclement weather
• The Aztecs have a 1-2 record vs. common opponents with Cal - they lost, 5-2, to UW on Feb. 1, beat Saint Mary's, 4-3, on Feb. 3 and lost at USC on Feb. 20, 7-0
• Peter Mattera, the 2012 Mountain West Women's Tennis Coach of the Year, is in his 20th season as San Diego State's head coach
Eighteenth-ranked California ran its all-time record against Washington to 28-3 with a dominating, 7-0, victory over the No. 31 Huskies on March 9 at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears (7-4, 2-0 in the Pac-12) lost just one set en route to sweeping UW (8-5, 0-2 Pac-12).
The pair of junior Kelly Chui and sophomore Laura Posylkin claimed Cal's first win of the day, beating Julija Lukac/Andjela Nemcevic on court three in doubles, 8-5, and the 30th-ranked team of junior Anett Schutting and freshman Lynn Chi secured the doubles point with an 8-6 win on court one over Ellanne Douglas-Miron/Riko Shimizu. Cal senior Tayler Davis and freshman Klara Fabikova added an 8-7(4) win over Natali Coronel/Grace Ysidora on court two.
The Bears got a strong performance from the eighth-ranked Schutting against No. 124 Nemcevic, 6-1, 6-1, on court one to start the singles matches. Next, the 117th-ranked Fabikova topped Douglas-Miron, 6-3, 6-3, on court three to make the team score 3-0, and then Davis clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3, triumph over Lukac on court four.
Junior Alice Duranteau followed with a 6-4, 6-3, victory over Coronel on court five, and then senior Annie Goransson kept the Huskies without a set with a 6-1, 6-3, win over Shimizu on court six.
UW finally broke through on court two, as the 49th-ranked Chi dropped a 6-3 first set to Ysidora. But the Bear rebounded to win the last two sets, 6-3, 6-3, and complete Cal's sweep. Marquette at home.
Cal returns to Pac-12 play when it hosts Utah on March 22 and Colorado on March 23 at the Hellman Tennis Complex.