Boise State University Team Page
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Boise State men's tennis team rode its hot hands to a 4-0 sweep of No. 38 Nebraska during the first round of the Blue Gray Classic, Friday. Boise State started with a point in singles, getting wins at Nos. 1 and 3. Patton/Sears were the first to finish with an 8-3 victory while Bettles/Sereke clinched the point, 8-4. It was the 10th doubles point for the Broncos in 15 matches.
That lead would go to 2-0 as Filipp Pogostkin was the first to win in singles play at the No. 4 position. The win was the fourth in-a-row for the senior from Bellevue, Wash., who is now 7-3 this spring.
Thomas Tenreiro scored the team's third point of the match with a 7-5, 6-3 win against Tom Blackwell, equaling Pogostkin's win streak at four. The freshman has seen success when playing on court five, tallying six of his seven wins there.
Andy Bettles and Andre Stenger flew through a three-set match that would clinch the win for Boise State. Bettles, ranked 30th in the nation, won the first set 6-3 before dropping the second set by the same score. In the final set, the junior took control, winning the first five games and eventually taking the set, 6-1. The win was the fifth-straight for Bettles who is 9-1 in his last 10 matches.
"Things are starting to roll our way," said head coach Greg Patton. "We suffered a little bit there for a while but things are looking our way. Our doubles were a sight to behold and gave us so much momentum going into the rest of the match."
Boise State will face No. 22 Notre Dame, Saturday at 1:30 p.m. CT. The Irish entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed and defeated Troy in the first round, 4-0.
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. Stenger/Hermann, 8-4
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Boyer/Zitsch, 8-3
3. Mitchell/Pogostkin vs Videtich/Elsass, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Andre Stenger, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. Marc Herrmann, DNF (4-6, 6-4, 1-1)
3. Scott Sears (BSU) vs. Dusty Boyer, DNF (4-6, 6-3, 1-1)
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Eric Sock, 6-2, 6-1
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Tom Blackwell, 7-5, 6-3
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Andrew Dzulynsky, DNF (6-4, 3-2)
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1