Boise State University Team Page
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Andy Bettles clinched the final point in the Bronco win as the Boise State men's tennis team upset No. 22 Notre Dame in the semifinals of the Blue Gray Classic, 4-3, Saturday.
In the deciding match, the Broncos were relying on their top player, ranked No. 25 in the nation and he came through in a big way, winning in three sets against No. 96 Greg Andrews. The junior from Somerset, England dropped the first set, 6-4 but rallied back to take the second set. With both teams counting on one final set, Bettles came out on top, 6-4 to give Boise State the win.
The Broncos started in an early hole after losing the doubles point quickly. Notre Dame's team of Andrews/Talmadge won on court one while Bandy/Dooley won on court three to take a 1-0 lead. The match marked only the second time this season Boise State has lost doubles but still one the match.
That lead would be erased with two wins by young Bronco players at the bottom two positions. Sophomore Garrett Patton tied the score with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Ryan Bandy at No. 6 and freshman Thomas Tenreiro won 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5.
Notre Dame then responded with a win at No. 3 to draw even at 2-2.
Nathan Sereke was the next Boise State player to get a singles win on court two, giving the team its third point and setting up Bettles to ear the fourth.
"This was such an amazing win for us," said head coach Greg Patton. "It's like we have been born again. The guys are playing with a confidence now to win matches instead of settling. We have the confidence and courage now to jump into those deep dark waters."
Boise State will play No. 47 Texas Tech in the tournament finals, Sunday at 1:30 p.m. CT.
1. Andrews/ Talmadge (ND) def. Bettles/Sereke, 8-2
2. Pecor/Lawson (ND) vs. Patton/Sears, DNF
3. Bandy/Dooley (ND) def. Mitchell/Pogostkin, 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. No. 25 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. No. 96 Greg Andrews, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Quentin Monaghan, 6-3, 6-3
3. Blas Moros (ND) def. Scott Sears, 6-4, 6-3
4. Billy Pecor (ND) def. Filipp Pogostkin, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Michael Moore, 6-4, 6-4
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Ryan Bandy, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1