UC Irvine Team Page
IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine (5-3) scored an upset victory over a higher-ranked team for the second time in as many days with a 4-3 comeback win over the 46th-ranked Tigers of LSU Monday afternoon at Anteater Tennis Stadium.
LSU was locked in early sweeping through doubles to take the initial point followed by a quick second point on court No. 4 of singles.
UCI captain Kristina Smith restored some order with a straight-set win at No. 1. Marivick Mamiit followed suit with a hard-fought, three-set win to tie the match up.
Ali Facey earned a crucial win at No. 5 in a very heated match that saw the sophomore come back after dropping the first set and then return from a 3-0 deficit in the third set.
Freshman Sarah Stadfelt continued her winning ways with the match-clincher on court No. 6, another comeback after dropping the first set.
For the Anteaters, LSU makes the third higher-ranked school that the 'Eaters have toppled thus far adding to their resume of 55th-ranked Tulane and 33rd-ranked Pepperdine.
Stadfelt remains undefeated as the No. 6 going 4-0. Facey (3-2) and Smith (4-3) are now over-.500 in their positions as well
UCI's next encounter will signal the beginning of conference play as it travels north to Cal Poly on Sun. Feb. 17th and UCSB on Mon. Feb. 18th for a pair of 11:00 a.m. matches.
#65 UC IRVINE 4, #46 LSU 3
February 11, 2013
Irvine, Calif. – Anteater Tennis Stadium
1) Jeremiah/Morton (LSU) def. Goettsching/Smith (UCI) – 8-7 (4)
2) Frankenberger/Wilson (LSU) def. Mamiit/Stadfelt (UCI) – 8-4
3) Burns/Taylor (LSU) def. A. Facey/Schweyer (UCI) – 8-1
LSU wins the doubles point
1) Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) – 7-6 (6), 6-3
2) Marivick Mamiit (UCI) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) – 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3) Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) – 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
4) Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Sarah Gong (UCI) – 6-2, 6-2
5) Ali Facey (UCI) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) – 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6) Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Caroline Hudson (LSU) – 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles – 3, 2, 1 | Singles – 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 3