Florida State University Team Page
DURHAM, N.C. - After starting the day strong by winning the doubles point, the No. 18 Florida State men's tennis team (14-6, 2-3) lost all six singles matches. The Seminoles fell to No. 9 Duke (16-4, 4-1) 6-1 at the Ambler Tennis Stadium.
The Seminoles No. 45 senior Andres Bucaro and sophomore Benjamin Lock opened doubles with a loss to the No. 1 team of Henrique Cunha and Raphael Hemmeler. Florida State proceeded to win the next two matches to claim the doubles point.
"Duke played a great match today," said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. "We had a very good start by playing outstanding doubles. We beat a very good team in Redlicki and Tahir on court two and another great team at three doubles. It gave us a good opportunity going into singles but Duke did great in coming back. We had a chance to come back with two tiebreakers at four and six but unfortunately we didn't come through on them."
Seniors Anderson Reed and Jordan Kelly-Houston defeated the No. 44 duo of Chris Mengel and Fred Saba 8-5 on court three for their 10th win of the spring. Sophomore Dominic Cotrone and junior Blake Davis finished it out with a win over No. 14 Michael Redlicki and Jason Tahir 8-6 on court two.
In singles play, Duke won five of the six first sets to go on and win all six singles matches. On court one, No. 5Dunha topped Benjamin Lock 6-1, 6-4 while No. 25 Saba defeated No. 121 Cotrone 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9) on court two.
In position three, No. 56 Redlicki topped Reed 6-4, 6-3 while No. 89 Mengel defeated Kelly-Houston 6-1, 7-6 (4) pm court four. Freshman Michael Rinaldi was topped by No. 73 Raphael Hemmeler while sophomore Cristian Gonzalez Mendez fell 6-1, 7-6 (6) to Tahir.
On Friday, the Seminoles return home to take on both UNF and Boston College. For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 9 Duke 6 def. No. 18 Florida State 1
1. #1 Henrique Cunha/Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. #45 B. Lock/A. Bucaro (FS) 8-3
2. Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FS) def. #14 Michael Redlicki/Jason Tahir (DU) 8-6
3. Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) def. #44 Chris Mengel/Fred Saba (DU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #5 Henrique Cunha (DU) def. Benjamin Lock (FS) 6-1, 6-4
2. #25 Fred Saba (DU) def. #121 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
3. #56 Michael Redlicki (DU) def. Anderson Reed (FS) 6-4, 6-3
4. #89 Chris Mengel (DU) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 6-1, 6-6 (7-4)
5. #73 Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Michael Rinaldi (FS) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jason Tahir (DU) def. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FS) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 6*, 4, 2