BYU rallied back after losing the doubles point to defeat Boise State 4-3.
Boise State University Team Page
BOISE, Idaho - The No. 45 Boise State men's team fell in a dramatic 4-3 defeat to No. 41 BYU, Saturday, snapping the Broncos' 28-match home win streak.
The Broncos started by earning a one-point advantage, taking two doubles matches before the No. 1 team of Bettles/Sereke could finish. Patton/Sears moved to 15-5 this spring with an 8-3 victory against Fillmore/Smith. Mitchell/Reid clinched the opening point with an 8-5 win on court three. The duo is now 5-1 this season and has won their last three matches.
In singles, Nathan Sereke was the first to get off the court with a quick 6-2, 6-3 victory against Spencer Smith at the No. 2 position. Sereke, who got off to a slow start this spring season, has been hot of late and rides an eight-match win streak.
The Cougars responded by earning their first point of match with a win at the top spot as No. 37 Patrick Kawka defeated No. 29 Andy Bettles in straight-sets, 7-5, 6-1. The loss was Bettles' first since Feb. 23.
The loss by Bettles allowed Thomas Tenreiro to secure the longest active singles winning streak, moving up to 12-in-a-row by taking down John Pearce, 6-4, 6-3.
Broncos losses at No. 3 and No. 5 allowed notched the team score at three-apiece with only the No. 6 players remaining. BYU's Andrey Goryachkov provided the clinching point for his team, defeating Garrett Patton, 6-4, 6-3.
The win concluded Boise State's home stand as the Broncos will take to the road for matches against UNLV and Fresno State, Friday (April 12) and Sunday (April 14), respectively.
BYU 4, Boise State3
Boas Tennis Center - April 6, 2013
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) vs. Kawka/Sargeant, 5-4 (Unfinished)
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Fillmore/Smith, 8-3
3. Mitchell/Reid (BSU) def. Cullimore/Pearce, 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. No. 37 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. No. 29 Andy Bettles, 7-5, 6-1
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Spencer Smith, 6-2, 6-3
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Scott Sears, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Filipp Pogostkin, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. John Pearce, 6-4, 6-3
6. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Garrett Patton, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6