Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 12 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team fell to No. 15 Baylor, 6-1, Friday, April 12, in Waco, Texas, in the Sooners' first Big 12 loss of the season.
"Baylor played a very good match today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "They deserve a lot of credit. The doubles point was huge and we lost it in a tie breaker at Court 1. We have to rebound and get focused for Texas Tech."
OU (15-6, 2-1) fell in doubles to the Bears (16-4, 2-0) despite winning the first match of the night.
Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas won the Sooners' sole doubles match, beating Patrick Pradella and Roberto Maytin, 8-3.
Shortly after, Lawrence Formentera and Nick Papac dropped their match, 8-3.
This left Court 1 as the determining match. Down 4-7, Costin Paval and Dane Webb surged ahead, leading the match 8-7 at one point. However, the tandem of Mate Zsiga and Diego Galeano proved too much for OU's No. 1 duo. They beat Paval and Webb 9-8 (7-3).
In singles, Baylor extended their lead after Galeano beat Papac 6-1, 6-1.
Paval scored a point for the Sooners after he beat Pradella, 6-3, 6-3, closing Baylor's lead to 2-1.
The Bears once again extended their lead after Webb fell to Julian Lenz 6-2, 6-4. They clinched the match after Leonard Stakhovsky fell to Maytin 6-4, 7-5.
Losses from Alvarez Llamas and Alcorta on Courts 4 and 2, respectively, gave Baylor a 6-1 finish.
The Sooners continue their road weekend at No. 44 Texas Tech Sunday, April 14, at 1 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Baylor 6, Oklahoma 1
1. Zsiga/Galeano (BU) def. No. 27 Paval/Webb (OU), 9-8 (7-3)
2. No. 75 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Pradella/Maytin (BU), 8-3
3. Lenz/Lupieri (BU) def. Formentera/Papac (OU), 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 23 Costin Paval (OU) def. No. 29 Patrick Pradella (BU), 6-3, 6-3
2. No. 91 Mate Zsiga (BU) def. No. 38 Guillermo Alcorta (OU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
3. No. 55 Julian Lenz (BU) def. No. 53 Dane Webb (OU), 6-2, 6-4
4. No. 74 Tony Lupieri (BU) def. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Diego Galeano (BU) def. Nick Papac (OU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Roberto Maytin (BU) def. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 6*, 4, 2