Louisiana State University Team Page
BATON ROUGE – The No. 20 LSU men’s tennis team (14-10, 5-7 SEC) came away with a 4-1 victory over No. 54 Arkansas (15-15, 0-12 SEC) Saturday afternoon at the Dub in the first match of their doubleheader.
The Tigers took control early in the match, cruising to a victory in doubles. On court two, the senior duo of Roger Anderson and Olivier Borsos defeated Arkansas’ Mike Nott and Victor Hoang 8-3. Soon after, the doubles point was secured for the Tigers after the No. 52 pair of Chris Simpson and senior Stefan Szacinski dealt an 8-5 loss to Arkansas’ Mike Ward and Gregorie Lehmann on court one to give LSU a 1-0 lead. The doubles match between LSU’s Boris Arias and Tam Trinh and Arkansas’ Hall Fess and Santiago Munoz was left unfinished with the Tigers leading 7-6.
LSU did not slow down at the start of singles. The Tigers quickly extended their lead to 2-0 behind a 6-3, 6-1 victory by Borsos over Arkansas’ Munoz on court three. LSU’s Trinh pushed the Tigers’ lead to 3-0 following his 6-1, 6-3 victory over Arkansas’ Hoang on court five. The Razorbacks earned their only point of the afternoon with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 win by Jovan Parlic over LSU’s Harrison Kennedy on court six.
The match was clinched for the Tigers by senior Mark Bowtell on court four with a 7-6(3), 6-3 victory over Ward to give the Tigers a 4-1 win. The two remaining singles matches were left unfinished. On court one, LSU’s No. 51 Simpson was leading Lehmann 6-3, 4-6, 3-2. On court two, LSU’s No. 104 Szacinski and Arkansas’ Nott were tied 6-3, 6-7(4).
The Tigers will finish off their doubleheader with a match against Jackson State at 4 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s team on Twitter @lsutennis, and follow head coach Jeff Brown @LSUCoachJBrown and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Arkansas vs LSU
Apr 13, 2013 at Baton Rouge, La.
(W.T. "Dub" Robinson Stadium)
#20 LSU 4, #54 Arkansas 1
1. #51 Chris Simpson (LSU) vs. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 6-3, 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. #104 Stefan Szacinski (LSU) vs. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), unfinished
3. Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
5. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
1. #52 Chris Simpson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Mike Ward/Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 8-5
2. Roger Anderson/Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. Mike Nott/Victor Hoang (ARK) 8-3
3. Boris Arias/Tam Trinh (LSU) vs. Hall Fess/Santiago Munoz (ARK) 7-6, unfinished
Arkansas 15-15; National ranking #54
LSU 14-10; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,5,6,4)