University of Washington Team Page
LOS ANGELES -- No. 31 Washington dropped its second match in as many days against one of the top-ranked teams in the country. Saturday, it was No. 4 USC that picked up the Pac-12 win over the Dawgs, defeating them, 6-1.
Washington fell to 15-10 and 2-4 in conference after being swept by the L.A. schools this weekend.
It began with the Huskies being swept in doubles. Marton Bots and Kyle McMorrow fell 8-2 to Yannick Hanfmann at No. 1, followed by the Trojans clinching at No. 3, defeating Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou, 8-4.
In singles, USC won five of the six matches in straight sets with only McMorrow prevailing for the Huskies. Eric Johnson led things off with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Farkas, followed by Hanfmann defeating Manthou, 6-3, 6-1.
Earning the clinching point for USC was Jonny Wang at No. 6 as he defeated Nicholas Kamisar, 6-3, 6-2.
Following two more losses from Emmett Egger and Marton Bots, McMorrow got the Dawgs on the board, winning at No. 1 singles in a third-set super-breaker. McMorrow prevailed 7-6 (4), 5-7, 1-0 (10-7) over No. 5 Emilio Gomez of USC.
Overall, all six singles players for the Trojans had a national ranking as they attempt to win an NCAA title for a fourth-straight season.
Next up for Washington is the Pac-12 finale, Saturday April 20, at 1 p.m. in Oregon. The Dawgs have already beaten the Ducks earlier this season, but this time will have to do so in Eugene.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 13, 2013 - Los Angeles
#4 USC 6, #31 Washington 1
(1) #39 Hanfmann/Johnson (USC) def. Bots/McMorrow (UW) - 8-2
(2) #53 Gomez/Quiroz (USC) def. Egger/Hawke (UW) - 8-6
(3) de Vroome/Johnson (USC) def. Farkas/Manthou (UW) - 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) #17 Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. #5 Emilio Gomez (USC) - 7-6 (4), 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
(2) #11 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Marton Bots (UW) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #48 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Max Manthou (UW) - 6-3, 6-1
(4) #34 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Emmett Egger (UW) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) #75 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Viktor Farkas (UW) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) #90 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 1