University of Washington Team Page
EUGENE, Ore. -- It wasn't easy, but No. 33 Washington pulled out a huge conference win over No. 43 Oregon, 4-3. The Dawgs battled back after losing the doubles point to improve to 16-10 and 3-4 in the Pac-12.
With the win Washington clinched the fifth seed at the Pac-12 Tournament, which begins next week.
The Dawgs began by dropping the doubles point, falling in two of the three matches. The lone Husky winners were Jeff Hawke and Max Manthou who dominated their match at No. 2, winning, 8-1.
In singles, the Huskies responded, needing to win four of the six matches and accomplishing just that. Marton Bots got things started, earning a 6-4, 6-3 win over Jeff Mullen at No. 2.
Following Bots were straight-set wins from Kyle McMorrow and Hawke. McMorrow battled to a 7-6 first set win, before breezing to a 6-3 second set to defeat Robin Cambier at No. 1. Hawke won the first set, 6-4, before needing a tiebreak to clinch the win. He won the second-set tiebreak, 10-8, to even the match.
Oregon won two matches in straight sets, setting the stage for the lone three-setter.
The deciding match came at No. 4 singles with every match long done. Manthou needed to beat Alex Rovello to win it for Washington and he came through in three sets. After losing the first set, 6-4, Manthou rallied to win each of the next two sets by the score of 6-2.
The Dawgs will now prepare for the Pac-12 Championships in Ojai, California, beginning April 24.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 20, 2013 - Eugene, Ore.
No. 33 Washington 4, No. 43 Oregon 3
1. Cambier/Mullen def. McMorrow/Bots, 8-4.
2. Hawke/Manthou def. Sardu/Cissold, 8-1.
3. Rovello/Maasland def. Egger/Barnhart, 8-6.
1. No. 17 Kyle McMorrow def. Robin Cambier, 8-1.
2. Marton Bots def. Jeff Mullen, 6-4, 6-3.
3. Daan Maasland def. Emmett Egger, 7-5, 6-4.
4. Max Manthou def. Max Manthou, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
5. Daniel Sardu def. Viktor Farkas, 6-1, 6-2.
6. Jeff Hawke def. Aaron Clissold, 6-4, 7-6 (8).