Northwestern University Team Page
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 16 Northwestern closed out its regular season in style Sunday as it posted a 6-1 win over No. 34 Indiana at Combe Tennis Center.
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Combe Tennis Center)
Score: No. 16 Northwestern 6, No. 34 Indiana 1
Records: NU (15-8, 9-2 Big Ten), Indiana (17-8, 6-5 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Friday, April 26 - Big Ten Tournament (Bloomington, Ind.), opponent and time TBD
On a day in which the team honored seniors Linda Abu Mushrefova, Kate Turvy and Brittany Wowchuk, the Wildcats surged in front by taking the doubles point. At No. 2, the team of Alicia Barnett and Veronica Corning rolled to its eighth-straight win as the duo handled Leslie Hureau and Jithmie Jayawickrema 8-3. NU clinched doubles with a win at No. 1 as Mushrefova and Hamilton, ranked 18th, defeated Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy 8-5.
Turvy, ranked 49th, started NU off on the right foot in singles as dismantled 97th-ranked Katie Klyczek 6-1, 6-0 for her seventh win in her last eight matches. In each of the victories, Turvy has surrendered six games or less to her opponent.
Barnett made it 3-0 in Northwestern's favor when she defeated Murdy 6-2, 6-3. Three matches then completed within 90 seconds of one another, including a pair of wins for the Wildcats that clinched the match.
The Hoosiers got on the board with their lone victory of the day at No. 1 as 119th-ranked Leslie Hureau defeated No. 122 Veronica Corning 6-2, 6-2. However, moments later, Wowchuk earned the match win at No. 5 with a 7-5, 6-1 defeat of Jayawickrema.
Northwestern wrapped up the day with wins at Nos. 3 and 4 as Belinda Niu knocked off Kauss 6-1, 6-3 and Mushrefova took down Sophie Garre 6-3, 6-3.
Northwestern returns to action at the Big Ten tournament in Bloomington, Ind. Play gets underway on Thursday and continues through Sunday. The Wildcats are the No. 3 seed for the tournament and will open against an opponent to be determined in the quarterfinal round on Friday.
#16 Northwestern 6, #34 Indiana 1
1. #18 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) 8-5
2. Alicia Barnett/Veronica Corning (NU) def. Jithmie Jayawickrema/Leslie Hureau (IND) 8-3
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) vs. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-3, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. #119 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. #122 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #49 Kate Turvy (NU) def. #97 Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-1, 6-0
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Alecia Kauss (IND) 6-1, 6-3
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Sophie Garre (IND) 6-3, 6-3
5. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND) 7-5, 6-1
6. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 6, 1, 5*, 3, 4