Auburn University Team Page
BERKELEY, Calif. - No. 25 Auburn women's tennis fell 4-0 to eighth-ranked California on Saturday in NCAA Second Round action at the Hellman Tennis Complex to cap a tremendous second year for head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner.
"I'm so proud of this team. They had a fantastic year that exceeded all of our expectations," Meisner said. "They have set a high stand for the future of the women's tennis program at Auburn. All credit is due to Cal. They were too good for us today. They are an excellent team that will make a nice run next week. We came away with our heads held high and we are looking forward to the future. I couldn't be more proud."
Auburn (19-9) fell behind early when the Bears picked up the doubles point with an 8-1 loss by Emily Flickinger and Paulina Schippers on court three. Doubles play was clinched when ITA No. 33 Lynn Chi/Anett Schutting defeated the Tigers' Pleun Burgmans and Plamena Kurteva, 8-3.
Auburn's deficit grew to 2-0 following a straight-set loss by junior Jackie Kasler to ITA No. 70 Chi, 0-6, 1-6. Flickinger dropped her match on court two 1-6, 1-6 to ITA No. 43 Klara Fabikova as the Golden Bears pushed their advantage to 3-0.
The match was clinched by Cal when Kurteva came up short at the sixth line, 1-6, 2-6.
While the team season is complete, Burgmans will travel to Illinois as an individual qualifier, and she will also compete with her partner Kurteva in the doubles tournament.
For the latest on Auburn women's tennis, follow @AUWomensTennis on Twitter.
 No. 8 California 4, No. 24 Auburn 0
NCAA Championship Second Round
Hellman Tennis Complex - Berkeley, Calif.
1. No. 33 Lynn Chi/Anett Schutting (California) def. No. 10 Pleun Burgmans/Plamena Kurteva (Auburn) - 8-3
2. Klara Fabikova/Annie Goransson (California) vs. No. 36 Jen Pfeifler/Jackie Kasler (Auburn) - Abandoned
3. Kelly Chui/Tayler Davis (California) def. Emily Flickinger/Paulina Schippers (Auburn) - 8-1
California wins the doubles point
Doubles Order of Finish: 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 8 Anett Schutting (California) vs. No. 22 Pleun Burgmans (Auburn) - Abandoned
2. No. 43 Klara Fabikova (California) def. Emily Flickinger (Auburn) - 6-1, 6-1
3. No. 5 Zsofi Susanyi (California) vs. Jen Pfeifler (Auburn) - Abandoned
4. No. 70 Lynn Chi (California) def. Jackie Kasler (Auburn) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Tayler Davis (California) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn) - 6-2, 6-3
6. Annie Goransson (California) vs. Paulina Schippers (Auburn) - Abandoned
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5*
*Clinched the match
 No. 8 California 18-5
No. 25 Auburn 19-9