Vanderbilt University Team Page
CLEMSON, S.C. – Vanderbilt’s season came to an end Saturday afternoon in the second round of the Women’s Tennis NCAA Tournament with a 4-2 loss to the Clemson Tigers at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
The Commodores finished the season with an overall record of 16-12. Clemson (16-7) advances to the Sweet 16 in Urbana, Ill.
For the second-straight match to begin the NCAA Tournament, the Commodores opened by winning the all-important doubles point. At No. 2, Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares defeated Tristen Dewar and Romy Koelzer, 8-6. Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn then wrapped up doubles with a win at No. 3 over Liz Jeukeng and Ani Miao, 8-5.
Clemson’s No. 1 doubles team of Yana Korolev and Beatrice Gumulya defeated Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-3.
After a long weather delay, Casares continued her dominating effort in singles play at the No. 4 position. The sophomore defeated Koelzer in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. The win gave VU a 2-0 advantage in the match.
Trailing 2-0, Clemson would mount a run to win four-straight matches, clinching the win for the No. 13 national seed.
The Tigers scored their first point of the match at the No. 2 singles position. Clemson’s Jeukeng defeated Colton, 6-2, 6-2.
It wouldn’t take long for Clemson to then tie the match, 2-2, after Korolev defeated Mira at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 6-2. At the No. 5 singles spot, Clemson’s Miao defeated Antal in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, to give the Tigers the lead, 3-2. Antal finishes the season with a team-best 19-6 record in dual play.
Gumulya would clinch the match for Clemson at No. 3 with a win over Sellyn, 1-6, 7-6, 6-3. Sellyn finished her first season as a Commodore with an overall singles record of 23-10, including a 17-8 mark in dual play.
Vanderbilt will be represented in the Women’s Tennis NCAA Doubles Championship in Urbana, Ill., May 22-27. Colton and Mira are one of 32 doubles teams to make the tournament.
1. Yana Korolev (CU) def. No. 63 Lauren Mira (VU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Liz Jeukeng (CU) def. Courtney Colton (VU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. No. 95 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 1-6, 7-6(8-6), 6-3
4. Marie Casares (VU) def. Romy Koelzer (CU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ani Miao (CU) def. Ashleigh Antal (VU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Tristen Dewar (CU) vs. Frances Altick (VU) 6-3, 6-7(4), 3-2, unfinished
1. Korolev/Gumulya (CU) def. No. 12 Colton/Mira (VU) 8-3
2. Antal/Casares (VU) def. Dewar/Koelzer (CU) 8-6
3. Altick/Sellyn (VU) def. Jeukeng/Miao (CU) 8-5
Order of Finish