Arizona State University Team Page
After failing to secure the doubles point, the No. 26 Arizona State Sun Devils women's tennis team won four straight singles matches over the University of Oklahoma to clinch their first victory of the 2013 NCAA Women's Tennis Championship Tournament. A final score of 4-1 earned the Sun Devils a spot in the second round against the host school University of Georgia.
"We expected a tough match today and we got it. I'm extremely happy for the girls to have the opportunity to play Georgia tomorrow to compete for a spot in the Sweet 16," Arizona State head coach Sheila McInerney said. "Today was a good test, Oklahoma took it to us in the doubles as their teams were the aggressor."
Doubles play was the only lull for ASU on Saturday morning -- the Sooners captured victories on both the No. 1 and No. 3 courts, putting ASU at a quick disadvantage.
"We knew doubles play was going to be tough. Oklahoma is a tough outing as they compete well and are well coached," McInerney said. "I was really pleased with how we bounced back in the singles and played some of the best singles we have played this year from top to bottom."
Senior Jacqueline Cako started the waterfall of wins defeating Hermon Brgane on the No. 1 court 6-1, 6-3. It was all freshman from there on out, with Ebony Panoho adding another on the No. 6 court, earning a two set win over Zita Engbroks 6-1, 7-6 (3). Desirae Krawczyk defeated Whitney Ritchie 6-1, 7-6 (1) and to clinch the overall match victory, Stephanie Vlad defeated Whitney Wofford in two identical sets, 6-1, 6-1.
"We are excited to survive and advance to the next round, that's for sure," McInerney said.
ASU will square off against Georgia in the second round of play on Sunday May 12, 2013 at 2 p.m. EDT/11 a.m. MST. The Bulldogs defeated Winthrop 4-0 to earn a spot in the second round. Live scoring and live video is available at the Georgia Athletics Website.
Stick with thesundevils.com and Like Arizona State Women's Tennis on Facebook for all of the latest details.
Arizona State 4, Oklahoma 1
1. #9 Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. #31 Jacqueline Cako/Nicole Smith (ASU), 8-3
2. Desirae Krawczyk/Leighann Sahagun (ASU) vs. Emma Devine/Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-5, unfinished
3. Zita Engbroks/Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Hannah James/Joanna Smith (ASU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3
1. #21 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. #66 Hermon Brhane (OU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Whitney Ritchie (OU), 6-1, 7-6(1)
3. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) vs. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
4. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Hannah James (ASU) vs. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-4, 3-5, unfinished
6. Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Zita Engbroks (OU), 6-1, 7-6(3)
Order of finish: 1,6,2,4*