Cornell College Team Page
ITHACA, N.Y. – Junior Lauren Frazier and freshman Alexandra D'Ascenzo had singles victories, but the women's tennis team closed out its season with a 5-2 setback Sunday at Penn.
Five of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets, including both Cornell victories. D'Ascenzo improved to 11-5 in dual-matches singles matches and 3-4 in Ivy play with her victory at the No. 2 position, taking down Kana Daniel, 6-4, 6-2. Frazier won her first Ivy match of the season, topping Luba Vazhenina at No. 5, 6-4, 6-3.
Freshman Marika Cusick won the second set of her No. 3 singles match. The tilt was even in the third set when the match was decided, then Cusick suffered the loss in a super tiebreaker. She finished the season with a team-high 12 singles victories and a team-best 4-3 record in Ivy play.
The Quakers started off the day by winning the doubles point, though junior Dena Tanenbaum and sophomore Christy Kung were leading at No. 2 when their match was halted.
The Big Red finishes the season 7-10 overall and 0-7 in Ivy League play.
PENN 5, CORNELL 2
Sunday's results; at Hamlin Tennis Center; Philadelphia
1. Kana Daniel/Sol Eskanazi (P) def. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo, 8-2
2. Christy Kung/Dena Tanenbaum (C) vs. Sonya Latycheva/Jaime Yapp-Shing, unfinished (6-5)
3. Stephanie Do/Luba Vazhenina (P) def. Shannon Comolli/Lauren Frazier, 8-1
1. Eskanazi (P) def. Tanenbaum, 7-5, 6-2
2. D'Ascenzo (C) def. Daniel, 6-4, 6-2
3. Latycheva (P) def. Cusick, 6-3, 3-6, 2-2(6)
4. Yapp-Shing (P) def. Comolli, 7-5, 7-5
5. Frazier (C) def. Vazhenina, 6-4, 6-3
6. Do (P) def. Kung, 7-5, 6-3
Records: Cornell 7-10 (0-7 Ivy); Penn 8-10 (1-6 Ivy)