Four Broncos will compete in the 2016 Gopher Invitational this weekend in M...
Boise State University Team Page
THIS WEEK IN MEN’S TENNIS
- Location: Minneapolis, Minn.
- Facility: Baseline Tennis Center
- Dates: Nov. 4-6, 2016
- Times: Each day will begin at 8 a.m. (Mountain)
Follow Live Video
Baseline will be live streaming the first six indoor courts here:
Court 1: http://z.umn.edu/wtc1
Court 2: http://z.umn.edu/wtc2
Court 3: http://z.umn.edu/wtc3
Court 4: http://z.umn.edu/wtc4
Court 5: http://z.umn.edu/wtc5
Court 6: http://z.umn.edu/wtc6
Boise State men’s tennis is heading to the 2016 Gopher Invitational at Minneapolis, Minn., at the Baseline Tennis Center. This event is unique in that it will be a compass draw rather than your typical singles and doubles formats. The invitational runs Friday through Sunday (Nov. 4-6). This will be the final competition of the fall semester for the Broncos.
- The Gopher Invitational is a “compass draw” where two players compete as a team playing in both doubles and singles as a tandem against two players from another school. The winning team has to win two out of three points (each match is worth one point in doubles and singles) to advance.
- The first draw is a round of 16 that will have student-athletes play a double set followed by two singles matches versus the athletes they played in the doubles match.
- The second draw will have two groups (Maroon and Gold) with four duos in each group. After a round robin format, the first place pairs will play each other while the second place, third place and fourth place pairs will play their counterparts from the other group.
Schools competing at the Gopher Invitational include: host Minnesota, Boise State, Dartmouth, Drake, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn and Wichita State.
REPRESENTING BOISE STATE
Boise State will be represented by four members of the team which includes two sophomores in Morgan Stone and Greg Wischer, as well as two freshmen, Ryland McDermott and Harvey Shackleton.
Team One - Morgan Stone and Greg Wischer
- Greg Wischer: The sophomore from Grand Forks, N.D., takes a 2-5 singles record and 2-3 doubles mark into the tournament.
- Morgan Stone: Stone is a transfer from Santa Clara but is originally from Marietta, Ga. The sophomore enters his third event of the semester with a 4-4 singles record and is 0-3 in doubles.
- Doubles: This will be the first time the two have competed in doubles together.
Team Two - Ryland McDermott and Harvey Shackleton
- Ryland McDermott: The true freshman from Las Vegas, Nev., is taking 5-4 singles and 2-3 doubles records into the Gopher Invitational.
- Harvey Shackleton: The freshman from Hertfordshire, England, will be competing in his second tournament for Boise State. He goes to Minnesota with 1-2 singles and 1-1 doubles records.
- Doubles: This will be the first time that McDermott and Shackleton have competed in doubles together.