The No. 6 seeded University of Louisville women's tennis team took third place at the 2009 BIG EAST Women's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 upset win over No. 5 seeded Rutgers.
"It is good to finish the season on a good note, " said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We showed again that we are one of the best programs in the conference. We have not had the season we wanted with all the injuries but we had a good BIG EAST Tournament."
U of L took the doubles point when Lindsey Jones and Jo-Ann Van Aerde beat Katherine Arlak and Leonora Slatnick at No. 1 8-4. The No. 3 duo of Amelia Harris and Sarah Miller won their match 8-6 over Amy Zhang and Caitlin Baker to clinch the point.
After gaining the doubles point the Cardinals won their top four singles matches. At No. 1, Lindsey Jones beat Amy Zhang 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. At No. 2, Bianca Gorbea rolled over Katherine Arlak 6-2, 6-2 and Natalia Baez won at No. 3 with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 over Jennifer Holzberg. Sarah Miller also prevailed with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Maryana Milchutskey at No. 4.
1. Jones/Van Aerde (Lou) def. Arlak/Slatnick (RU), 8-5
2. Holzberg/Ivey (RU) vs. Baez/Gorbea (Lou),DNF (5-4)
3. Harris/Miller (Lou) def. Baker/Zhang (RU), 8-6*
1. Lindsey Jones (Lou) def. Amy Zhang (RU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1*
2. Bianca Gorbea (Lou) def. Katherine Arlak (RU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Jennifer Holzberg (RU) vs. Natalia Baez (Lou), DNF (6-3, 2-6, 6-1)
4. Sarah Miller (Lou) def. Maryana Milchutskey (RU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Morgan Ivey (RU) vs. Amelia Harris (Lou), DNF (6-1, 1-6, 3-3)
6. Leonora Slatnick (RU) vs. Ashley Irvin (Lou), DNF (5-7, 6-0, 0-1)