Men’s Tennis Team Falls To New Mexico State, 5-2
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The Southern Miss men’s tennis team fell to 1-1 on the season, dropping a match to New Mexico State at the UNLV Tournament.
The Golden Eagles took the early 1-0 lead in the match by winning two of the three doubles. Oscar Machuca (Cuenca, Ecuador) and Patricio Alvarado (Manta, Ecuador) defeated Jim Brouleau and Gustave Diep (NMSU), 8-3, at No. 2 doubles. Andrew Poole (Cape Town, South Africa) and Jan Burmeister (Kronberg, Germany) out lasted Roman Stoisavljevic and Eduardo Salas (NMSU), 9-7, at the No. 1 doubles to claim the doubles’ point. Diego Machuca (Cuenca, Ecuador) and Domagoj Anic (Zagreb, Croatia) lost to Arthur Surreaux and Stefan McKinney, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, New Mexico State fought back to take the match, when the Aggies won five of the six singles. Strate Krstevski (Skopje, Macedonia) got the only win in the singles when he defeated Stefan McKinney (NMSU) in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, at No. 6.
At No. 1, No. 99 ranked Alvarado dropped his match to Stoisavljevic in a three-setter when he started to cramp late in the third set and lost, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 7-5.
Poole lost to Brouleau, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 3, while Anic lost to Diep, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, at No. 4. Oscar Machuca fell to Matej Stakne (NMSU), 6-2, 6-4, at No. 5.
“We played well enough to win today,” Coach Teddy Viator said. “The match could have gone either way. We let all of our close matches slip by. Hopefully, we can get Patricio healthy for tomorrow.”
While rain is in the forecast, the Golden Eagles are scheduled to return to the courts on Saturday to take on Cal Poly beginning with doubles at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Southern Miss vs New Mexico State
2/6/2009 at Las Vegas, Nev.
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
New Mexico State 5, Southern Miss 2
1. Roman Stoisavljevic (NMSUM) def. #99 Patricio Alvarado (USMM) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 7-5
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSUM) def. Andrew Poole (USMM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Gustave Diep (NMSUM) def. Domagoj Anic (USMM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Arthur Surreaux (NMSUM) def. Diego Machuca (USMM) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
5. Matej Stakne (NMSUM) def. Oscar Machuca (USMM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Strate Krstevski (USMM) def. Stefan McKinney (NMSUM) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
1. Andrew Poole/Jan Burmeister (USMM) def. Roman Stoisavljevic/Eduardo Salas (NMSUM) 9-7
2. Oscar Machuca/Patricio Alvarado (USMM) def. Jim Brouleau/Gustave Diep (NMSUM) 8-3
3. Arthur Surreaux/Stefan McKinney (NMSUM) def. Diego Machuca/Domagoj Anic (USMM) 8-3
Southern Miss 1-1
New Mexico State 1-0