||Univ. of Texas at Austin
||Sunday, September 01, 1991
Awards / Honors
• ITA All-American - 2013
• All-Big 12 Singles - 2012, 2013
• ITA Texas Region Player to Watch - 2012
• Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll - Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012
• Earned ITA All-America honors after advancing to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Singles Championship … All-Big 12 Singles … ranked No. 21 in the final ITA singles poll.
• Held a 21-11 overall singles record and 7-6 overall doubles record … won six singles matches against nationally-ranked opponents … ended the season with nine wins in the last 12 singles matches.
• Earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Singles Championship … entered the individual NCAA singles draw ranked No. 37 … defeated No. 21 Chris Simpson (LSU) in the round of 64, No. 56 Clifford Marsland (Tulsa) in the round of 32 and No. 25 Marcos Giron (UCLA) in the round of 16 … lost to eventual national finalist, No. 3 Jarmere Jenkins (Virginia), in the quarterfinals.
• Held an undefeated record (3-0) during team postseason play in the Big 12 Championship and NCAA Championship, including one unfinished match … defeated No. 18 Jeremy Efferding (Texas A&M) in straight sets during the second round of the NCAA Championship in College Station (May 11).
• Played in the No. 1 singles position during dual match play for the second year.
• Defeated No. 34 Japie De Klerk (Tulsa) in straight sets to lead Texas in a 4-3 victory over 17th-ranked Tulsa (Jan. 20).
• Took his twin brother, Esben, to three sets during Texas’ 6-1 victory over North Carolina (March 9) … it marked the first time the siblings met in a collegiate singles match.
• Defeated 92nd-ranked Nick Chappell (TCU) in straight sets, helping the Horns to a 4-3 victory over the Horned Frogs in their first meeting as Big 12 opponents.
• Held a 4-2 doubles record with Lloyd Glasspool … as doubles partners, Glasspoll and Hess-Olesen won their last three matches and went 4-1 in dual match play.
AS A FRESHMAN (2011-12)
• finished with a 20-13 overall singles record, including a 9-8 mark in dual matches at No. 1 singles, and a No. 80 ITA national singles ranking
• ITA Texas Region Player to Watch
• All-Big 12 singles
• played at No. 1 singles through the entire season and became the first UT freshman to play primarily at the top slot since Dimitar Kutrovsky in 2007
• posted a 7-6 (4), 6-3 win over Texas A&M's Junior Ore in UT's 4-3 home win over the Aggies
• defeated Oklahoma State's 116th-ranked Vlad Bondarenko (6-3, 6-0) in UT's 5-2 win over the Cowboys
• outlasted Florida State's Jordan Kelly-Houston (2-6, 6-3, 7-6 ) in Texas' 4-2 neutral-site win over the Seminoles
• defeated TCU's Nick Chappell in straight sets (6-4, 6-4) in UT's 7-0 home win over the Horned Frogs
• knocked off Texas A&M's Alexis Klegou (6-3, 6-3) in UT's 4-1 win over the Aggies at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship
• defeated North Carolina's 30th-ranked Jose Hernandez (7-6 , 5-7, 6-2) at No. 1 singles to help Texas to a 5-2 victory on the 17th-ranked Tar Heels home indoor courts
• posted a 6-3, 6-0 win over Maryland's Maros Horny at No. 1 singles in Texas' 4-0 win over the Terrapins in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event
• defeated Rice's Harry Fowler by a 6-4, 6-4 count at No. 1 singles in the Horns' 5-2 road win over the Owls
• in his first collegiate dual match, knocked off SMU's Gaston Cuadranti (6-2, 6-0) at No. 1 singles in Texas' 5-2 road win over the Mustangs
• defeated Virginia's Julen Uriguen by a 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 count at the Key Biscayne Quad
• reached the finals of the Southwest Shootout, where he fell to teammate Daniel Whitehead; qualified for the finals with victories over Rice's Sam Garforth-Bles (6-2, 6-2) and Texas Tech's Rafael Garcia (6-4, 6-2)
• defeated Rice's Jonathan Chang (4-6, 6-3, 6-3), Baylor's Marko Krickovic (7-6, 6-2) and Texas A&M's 104th-ranked Junior Ore (6-3, 6-4) to reach the quarterfinals of the ITA Texas Regional Championships
• defeated Michigan's Shaun Bernstein (6-1, 6-3) in the qualifying bracket's consolation draw at the ITA All-American Championships
• fell to teammate Daniel Whitehead in the finals of the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational; defeated SMU's Joe Hattrup (6-1, 6-4), Abilene Christian's Hans Hach (6-2, 6-1), Texas A&M's Jordan Szabo (6-3, 6-2) and Tulsa's Clifford Marsland (6-2, 6-4) to reach the finals
• ranked No. 1 among Danish junior tennis players
• former Danish 18-and-under national champion in singles and doubles
• represented Denmark at the Junior Davis Cup and at the 2008 and 2009 European Championships
• defeated three opponents featured in the top-100 of the ITF junior rankings
• doubles champion at the 2009 ITF Danish Junior Cup
Born Sept. 1, 1991 in Aarhus, Denmark ... son of Erik Olesen and Bodil Hess ... has an identical twin brother, Esben, who is a freshman tennis player at The University of North Carolina ... has another sibling, Asger (25) ... member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll (Fall 2011, Spring 2012)... major is undergraduate studies.