Badgers grab first conference win at Michigan State
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin women’s tennis team captured its first win in Big Ten play this season with a 6-1 victory over Michigan State Sunday at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility in East Lansing, Mich.
UW earned its second-straight 6-1 win over the Spartans, improving to 10-5 overall and 1-2 in the conference, while the Spartans fall to 8-6 on the season and 0-3 in league play.
The Badgers jumped out to an early lead after sweeping doubles.
It took senior Alaina Trgovich and junior Hannah Berner an extra game to get past Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl at the top spot, 9-7.
Pairing up at No. 2, sophomore Nicky Stracar and freshman Nova Patel captured an 8-5 victory over Marina Bohrer and Michaela Silesova.
Seniors Aleksandra Markovic and Angela Chupa registered their 10th doubles victory of the season with an 8-5 win at court three, defeating Dana Guentert and Julianne Gruber.
UW recorded five singles victories to finish off the Spartans, 6-1.
Berner claimed the first singles win for Wisconsin with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Bohrer at court three.
At No. 2, Stracar defeated Herzog in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2.
Freshman Sarah Loebel’s 6-4, 6-4 win over Silesova at No. 4 clinched UW’s first conference win.
Patel came out on top in the third-set tiebreak at court five, capturing UW’s fifth singles victory. The Badger freshman handed Lingl a 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 loss.
Despite taking the first set over Guentert at No. 6, Markovic could not get past the Spartan, falling, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Wisconsin returns home next weekend, hosting Illinois and Northwestern at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The matchup with the Fighting Illini is slated for Friday, Mar. 30 at 3 p.m., while the meeting with the Wildcats is set for Sunday, April 1 at 12 p.m.
Wisconsin 6 – Michigan State 1
1. Alania Trgovich (UW) def. Olga Chernova (MSU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
2. Nicky Stracar (UW) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Hannah Berner (UW) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU), 7-5, 6-1
4. Sarah Loebel (UW) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Nova Patel (UW) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Aleksandra Markovic (UW), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish:
3, 2, 4, 6, 1, 5
1. Alaina Trgovich / Hannah Berner (UW) def. Herzog/Lingl (MSU), 9-7
2. Nicky Stracar / Nova Patel (UW) def. Bohrer/ Silesova (MSU), 8-5
3. Aleksanra Markovic / Angela Chupa (UW) def. Guentert/ Gruber (MSU), 8-5