DENVER, Colo. -
The Oregon men's tennis team dropped a road dual by a 5-2 decision to No. 52 Denver on Sunday afternoon. The Ducks fall to 7-8 on the year while Denver improves to 7-6.
Oregon's pair of points came on two wins at the bottom of singles play, where Ric Mortera
won for the second straight time at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-4 and Duncan MacDonald-Korth
was victorious at NO. 6 singles 6-3, 6-1.
In doubles play, Oregon won at No. 3 with freshmen Ayrton Wibowo
and Jose' Izquierdo
pulling it out 9-7.
Oregon has a long lay-off upcoming, with its next dual not scheduled until March 14 in Eugene against Portland. That match may be rescheduled to an earlier date but any change will be announced on GoDucks.com so stay tuned.
#52 Denver 5, Oregon 2
March 1, 2009 at Denver, Colo.
1. Martin Zimmermann (DEN) def. Marcos Verdasco
(ORE) 6-1, 6-3
2. #104 David Simson (DEN) def. Alex Cornelissen (ORE) 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
3. Benny Althaus (DEN) def. Ayrton Wibowo
(ORE) 6-2, 6-1
4. Yannick Weihs (DEN) def. Jose' Izquierdo
(ORE) 7-5, 6-2
5. Ric Mortera
(ORE) def. Johan Gunnarsson (DEN) 6-1, 6-4
6. Duncan MacDonald-Korth
(ORE) def. Varun Gunaseelan (DEN) 6-3, 6-1
1. Martin Zimmermann/David Simson (DEN) def. Marcos Verdasco
/Alex Cornelissen (ORE) 8-5
2. Yannick Weihs/Johan Gunnarsson (DEN) def. Ric Mortera
3. Ayrton Wibowo
(ORE) def. Ravjot Dhatt/Benny Althaus (DEN) 9-7
Denver 7-6; National ranking #52