SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The Oregon men's tennis team saw Marcos Verdasco and Alexander Cornelissen win their sixth doubles match out of the last seven duals but the Ducks dropped a 5-2 decision at Cal Poly on Thursday night. The Mustangs won for the second-consecutive day to improve to 8-9 on the season while Oregon dropped to 9-10. Cal Poly defeated No. 74 UC Santa Barbara yesterday on the road.
Corneliseen and Verdasco improved to 15-8 this season (12-7 in duals) in doubles play, the most wins on the team, but the Ducks could not use their win at No. 1 to take the doubles point as Cal Poly won at No. 2 and No. 3.
Cal Poly also won four of six singles matches to put the dual away. The Ducks got wins in singles action from Ric Mortera (6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7)) at No. 4 singles and also at No. 6 singles where Mike Myrhed won 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Mortera is 6-7 in duals play after an injury limited him in the fall and early spring seasons.
The Ducks were in San Luis Obispo to get in a match before a set of tough conference duals on Friday and Saturday when Oregon takes on No. 9 UCLA and No. 6 USC, respectively.
Cal Poly 5, Oregon 2
1. Cornelissen/Verdasco (Ore) def. Foy/Young (CP), 8-3
2. Gerst/Sonesson (CP) def. MacDonald-Korth/Myrhed (Ore), 8-3
3. Berger/McPhee (CP) def. Mortera/Wibowo (Ore), 8-3
1. Drew Jacobs (CP) def. Marcos Verdasco (Ore), 7-5, 7-6 (6)
2. Andrew Gerst (CP) def. Alexander Cornelissen (Ore), 6-4, 6-2
3. Alexander Sonesson (CP) def. Ayrton Wibowo (Ore), 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Ric Mortera (Ore) def. Darryn Young (CP), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7)
5. Robert Foy (CP) def. Jose Izquierdo (Ore), 6-4, 6-0
6. Mike Myrhed (Ore) def. Brian McPhee (CP), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3