LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Oregon men's tennis team lost 7-0 on Saturday to No. 6 USC at Marks Stadium. The Ducks fall to 9-12 in 2009 while USC improves to 17-4.
Oregon lost all three doubles matches to the Trojans, who feature four top-100 players - including No. 3 ranked Robert Farah, who did not play on Saturday.
Alexander Cornelissen was the only Duck to force a third set in singles play, but fell 4-6, 6-3, 10-4 in a third set tiebreaker to Steve Johnson. Duncan MacDonald-Korth also had a close loss to Jason McNaughton, 7-5, 7-5 at No. 5 singles.
Marcos Verdasco was forced to retire for the second straight match after suffering a knee injury.
Oregon has just three matches remaining in the 2009 season, all in Eugene at the Student Tennis Center. The Ducks play host to No. 8 Stanford and No. 44 California next weekend and then battle rival Washington on April 18.
#6 USC 7, Oregon 0
Los Angeles, Calif. - Marks Stadium
(1) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Verdasco/Cornelissen (UO) - 8-5
(2) Johnson/Poldma (USC) def. MacDonald-Korth/Wibowo (UO) - 8-5
(3) Kells/Kecki (USC) def. Higuchi/Izquierdo (UO) - 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
(1) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO) - 5-0, Ret.
(2) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Alexander Cornelissen (UO) - 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
(3) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Ayrton Wibowo (UO) - 6-3, 7-5
(4) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Jose' Izquierdo (UO) - 6-1, 6-0
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Duncan MacDonald-Korth (UO) - 7-5, 7-5
(6) Daniel Gliner (USC) def. Sho Higuchi (UO) - 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3*, 6, 2, 5