No. 25 Washington Earns Road Win At Fresno State, 4-1
FRESNO, Calif. -- The Huskies completed its second win in as many days, defeating Fresno State on Monday afternoon, 4-1. The win moved the Dawgs to 11-6 on the season after a solid road win at Fresno's Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Washington switched up its doubles pairing a day after losing all three matches to Hawai'i and the results were favorable. The Dawgs won the doubles point with a pair of wins, while Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke's match went unfinished despite the Husky duo being in the lead.
Hudson Barnhart and Max Manthou took the first match at No. 3, 8-6. It was a nice redemption match for the two Dawgs who were shutout on Sunday playing at No. 2 against Hawai'i. Clinching the doubles point were Marton Bots and Kyle McMorrow. The top two singles players teamed in doubles for the first time in the dual season, defeating Fresno State's top team, 8-4.
In singles, Washington began with two straight-set wins to take a 3-0 lead. Nicholas Kamisar won his match at No. 6, 6-2, 6-1, over Jeremy Quiroz for the first point. He was followed by McMorrow adding yet another win at No. 1, beating Reid deLaubenfels, 6-3, 6-1.
Fresno State earned its point at No. 4, when Felipe Fritz knocked off Emmett Egger, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6).
Washington responded when Viktor Farkas clinched the match at No. 5, defeating Sam MacNeil, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. The final matches went unfinished with the Dawgs having already clinched, although Manthou needed just one more game to finish his match.
After four-straight away from Seattle, the Dawgs return home next weekend to take on cross-town rival Seattle U. Weather permitting, the Dawgs will play outdoors for the first time this season at 3 p.m. on Friday, March 15.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 11, 2013 - Fresno, Calif.
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
No. 25 Washington 4, Fresno State 1
1. Marton Bots/Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) 8-4
2. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) def. Nikolas Papic/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 5-4
3. Hudson Barnhart/Max Manthou (UW) def. Felipe Fritz/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,1
1. Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) vs. Marton Bots (UW) 6-3, 2-6, 5-5, unfinished
3. Max Manthou (UW) led Nikolas Papic (FS) 7-5, 5-4, unfinished
4. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Emmett Egger (UW) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,1,4,5