TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Washington men got the Pac-12 season off to a good start, going on the road to knock off Arizona, 4-3. The Dawgs improved to 14-6, winning a marathon match to begin conference play at 1-0.
The Dawgs began by winning the doubles point as Jeff Hawke and Emmett Egger won the clincher at No. 2. The duo of Hawke and Egger won 9-8, including 7-3 in the tiebreak. Earlier, Max Manthou and Hudson Barnhart won at the No. 3 spot to put the Dawgs in position to clinch the double point.
In singles, Kyle McMorrow got Washington off to a great start, winning at No. 1 singles. McMorrow dropped the first set, 6-3, but bounced back to win the final two sets, 6-1, 6-1. Moments later, Marton Bots pushed the Dawgs lead to 3-0 when he defeated Fredrik Ask, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
Despite the big lead, Arizona came roaring back, winning three-straight matches.
Tied at 3-3, it came to Nicholas Kamisar's match at No. 6, which went to three sets. Kamisar won the first set, 6-4, before dropping the second set, 7-5. In set number three, the sophomore dug deep, hanging on to defeat Naoki Takeda, 6-4.
The Dawgs will continue Pac-12 play this weekend when they travel to Salt Lake City to face Utah. The Dawgs and Utes are set for a 10 a.m., PT first serve.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 29, 2013 - Tucson, Ariz.
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center
No. 29 Washington, 4 - No. 64 Arizona, 3
1. Ask/Shinde (UA) def. McMorrow/Bots (UW), 8-5
2. Hawke/Egger (UW) def. Micini/Urquidi (UA), 9-8 (3)
3. Manthou/Bardhart (UW) def. Thompson/Takeda (UA), 8-4
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Giacomo Miccini (UA), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Marton Bots (UW) def. Fredrik Ask (UA), 7-6(4), 6-3
3. Kieren Thompson (UA) def. Max Manthou (UW), 7-5, 6-2
4. Sumeet Shinde (UA) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 7-5, 6-2
5. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Viktor Farkas (UW), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
6. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) def. Naoki Takeda (UA), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 5, 3, 4, 6